NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A very ordinary M31with a DSLR

lensman57

Taken a few nights ago on an evening that started brilliantly but went sour  within a couple of hours due to the haze and clouds. I was actually waiting for M45 to clear the roof of my house so I went for M31 and that was it. It has been a lousy Nov for imaging.

12 x 750s subs with a WO Star 71 and a modded Canon 1100d @ iso 1600. processed mainly in Pi with a tweak in PS.

Thanks for looking.

post-28808-0-93441700-1417272562_thumb.p

No image?

Edit: There it is :) 

Looks good! Nice star colours and the galaxy looks very naturally processed. I do detect a hint of green though, i'm sure HLVG would take care of that no problem! Also maybe some flat frames to exterminate those dust bunnys!

Callum

No image?

Edit: There it is :)

Looks good! Nice star colours and the galaxy looks very naturally processed. I do detect a hint of green though, i'm sure HLVG would take care of that no problem! Also maybe some flat frames to exterminate those dust bunnys!

Callum

Hi Callum,

Thanks mate, I have run the HLVG a couple of times already. The stack was very cyan in colour to start with and getting the colour balance " right " proved very difficult. I may attempt to restack again with different settings. Neither PI nor DSS appeared to have applied the flats correctly either.

A.G

Very nice image. Great star control, something I have failed to achieve in my effort. Any tips?

Thanks Chris,

I have not done anything to the stars that I usually do in PI, no Morphological transformation in PI or star reduction in PS.

A.G

PS: I did create a lum mask minus the stars in PI using pixel math for most of the stretching and some HDR treatment.

A good M31 one there :)

Long subs too, did you have a problem with orange subs from LP? Or is it a case of using a filter or good processing?

HI Nathan,

Many thanks, I actually misprinted the sub length it was 450s and not 750s so apologies for the misprint. I used an Astronomik CLS clip filter with the DSLR but as I stated the colour balancing of the final stack was a nightmare.

Regards,

A.G

Archived