Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LX90 8" Goto Crayford Focuser

Hi All,  

I have a very early Meade LX90 8" Goto (fork mount) and there still seems to be some free play in the focuser even though I have fitted the Peterson Focus Kit which helped a lot.

My question is: Has anyone  fitted a Crayford or Rack and Pinion focuser which does not foul on the fork mount at zenith when 90 degree diagonal is fitted? Hardly any of the generally advertised ones give dimensions and those that do quote 103mm(4") or "low profile" which still seem to be 103mm. One is advertised as 93mm + 2" to 1.25" adapter.

Apart from BUY A NEW SCOPE (times is 'ard guv) does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks.

Hi,

I use the meade zero image shift electric crayford focuser on my LX90, work superbly, just clears base with diagonal fitted.

Stops all the mirror flop too, but most of the manual ones would probably fit also as they are not really any bigger

Cheers

:):)

SS

Hi,

I use the meade zero image shift electric crayford focuser on my LX90, work superbly, just clears base with diagonal fitted.

Stops all the mirror flop too, but most of the manual ones would probably fit also as they are not really any bigger

Cheers

:):)

SS

Just measured mine, depending on the focus point it sticks out around 65mm plus diagonal, so around 100 to 110mm total.

SS

Hi,

that sounds ideal. Just did a quick search for "meade zero shift electric crayford focuser" but  the Meade site says its not suitable for the LX90 so I'll search again more thoroughly tomorrow.  I wonder if you have a Meade part number? From the picture I found it looks to be exactly what I need. The manual crayfords seem to be 103mm without a diagonal fitted. Thanks for your help SS.

Ltp.

The Meade #1209 Zero Shift Focuser came in two flavours

One for the LX200 series, which had a socket that the focuser plugged into.

Second had a handbox with speed controls and an internal battery that the focuser plugged into, for LX90 etc .

Both focusers are identical, you can google for the schematic of a diy box if you get the LX200 version.

Michael

Hi All,  

I have a very early Meade LX90 8" Goto (fork mount) and there still seems to be some free play in the focuser even though I have fitted the Peterson Focus Kit which helped a lot.

My question is: Has anyone  fitted a Crayford or Rack and Pinion focuser which does not foul on the fork mount at zenith when 90 degree diagonal is fitted? Hardly any of the generally advertised ones give dimensions and those that do quote 103mm(4") or "low profile" which still seem to be 103mm. One is advertised as 93mm + 2" to 1.25" adapter.

Apart from BUY A NEW SCOPE (times is 'ard guv) does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks.

alan potts might be able to help, he is a master with these and probably got some kind of crayford on his

Many thanks for the info both,  time for me to start trawling the net and the dealers. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi,

Sorry yes I forgot to mention you would need the hand control version, although they can be bought I think only without hand control now, so you either make one, or but the one that telescope house sell for £60, I have the APM 909 module so mine works through my meade hand controller, or via software on my PC.

I have heard that the hand controllers that come with the skywatcher electric focusers, also work with the meade also but you would have to change the cable connector.

Also,there is a controller which is very good and works with software also via a USB cable, from hitech astro and they are also £70, I had one of those till I found the APM909 module, which are like rocking horse .... To get hold of. And that worked very well.

These two links may help:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-dc-focus-controller.html

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Micro_Processor_Controller.html

Hope that helps

:) :)

SS

Archived