NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oz domes x3

nytecam

Hi - I was intregued by a shot from Oz on the latest BBC Click program [below] showing three different astro-domes ...

1 - left = conventional 'up and over' shutter

2 - right = clamshell = Liverpool Telescope?

3 - centre = aperture spiralled across dome - how does it work ?   TIA :police:           

post-21003-0-45921800-1416387705_thumb.j

The Astro-Haven dome looks interesting :) but their web site simply says "Call for pricing" so I guess that means "I can't afford it" :(  I wonder how weather-proof they are - looks like a complicated structure the seal effectively.

Anyone have any info on them?

I suspect that the centre one has the smallest open aperture.

The aperture movement looks to have two axis movement - rotation of the outer and probably an inner equatorial movement. The altitude Y-axis movement for example would require both inner and outer shell axis to coordinate movement but the aperture remains circular and the diameter of the scope..

To add to my previous posts - I think it's a two skin version of this: http://www.tmt.org/gallery/renderings

In the TMT the dome has two parts, however this version is lighter weight so having two shells probably means you don't need to have a runner attached to the dome skin. So the inner has a EQ path, attached to the outer but the outer shell then has a rotational path.

Archived