Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron C6-N help...

I think I am giving up on trying to collimate my 6" Newtonian telescope. The telescope's manual was written not to help, but confuse the user. It could not even describe exact location of the collimation screws...

After getting advice here on how to access the collimation screws, I still can't get it done.

The problem is that screws on the back plate doing nothing while I am adjusting them. Three small Allen wrench screws and three large chrome screws quite tight and mainly going only counterclockwise.

I don't know if I need to adjust allen/Philips screws simultaneously, or only one a the time? And which ones exactly, Allen screws or large Philips?

It's a first time I can't do a simple task which should be just a few minutes project...

Is anybody experienced the same issue?

post-39802-0-27381300-1416380156.jpg

From memory (I had a C6-N about 4 years ago) the large chrome screws hold the mirror assembly to the end plate and the allen screws are the adjusters.

I would ensure the large chrome headed screws are tight and then back off all the allen screws.

Retighten all the allen screws until they just make contact with the plate and then start your collimation from there.

I may be wrong in which case someone will be along shortly to correct me.

If all else fails take the end plate assembly off the tube carefully (screws are on the tube) and have a look at the screw / mirror lay out.

Paul

Attached to this post are the collimation instructions for the Skywatcher newtonians. The 150mm Skywatcher has the same arrangement as your Celestron I think. The 3 large cross headed screws adjust the tilt of the primary mirror and the 3 small hex screws next to them are the locking screws. The locking screws need to be loosened before adjusting the adjustment screws. The amount of adjustment needed is generally very small - a quarter turn of the screw at a time is reccommended and one at a time is the way to do it. Hopefully the document below will help:

203.pdf

Archived