New Diagonal

Got the Barlow sorted thanks. Now to the diagonal. I have read in more than one place that the diagonal supplied with the Orion ST80 is not very good. Consequently am looking for a replacement. As always, I want to spend as little as possible… :wink:

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Jon

I have been happy enough (not having the [personal?] equipment to prove otherwise!) with Antares cheapies - From Scopes and Skies - Also (as an aside) a "Skywatcher 2" from Rother Valley Optics. There are (of course) nicer ones e.g. from FLO. I managed somehow to convince myself that my MAK127 "really merited" a Baader Maxbright - From Telescope Service [DE] - It's one of my better pieces of Kit (They are luvverly though!). I'm sure some would say don't SKIMP on this area? FWIW, I tried to match the costs of a diagonal purchase to the general cost (quality?) of the eyepiece inserted therein. :wink:

(or see above) :mrgreen:

Jon

I recently bought an Astronomica 2" dialectric diagonal as I wanted to move to 2" EP's. I'm very impressed with the quality of it and they're 'only' £69 although I only paid £60 as I got a deal with buying something else at the same time.

Cheers, Martin

Jon,

There was a test done a little while ago comparing diagonals. See this <a href=http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,19853.0.html>thread</a>

Interesting. Perhaps as little as possible is none at all...

Jon

I recently bought an Astronomica 2" dialectric diagonal as I wanted to move to 2" EP's. I'm very impressed with the quality of it and they're 'only' £69 although I only paid £60 as I got a deal with buying something else at the same time.

Cheers, Martin

Thanks for that. I would need a 1.25'' ....

I think there are some diagonals about that are really cheap and are all plastic. I would not recommend one of those. I think the Antares 1.25 inch that I tested against the Tele Vue Everbright in that review is still available for purchase here:

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/21.html

For £20 they are pretty good :wink:

The standard Skywatcher / Orion ones supplied with the ST80 are also OK though and I doubt that you (or me) would notice any difference optically TBH.

Maybe save your £'s for something else ?.

John

For £20 they are pretty good :)

Cheers :wink:

The Antares 1.25'' is defintly the sort of thing I was looking for.

As quoted from the website The mirror is simply one of the best in a star diagonal for less than £75!

Current shopping list:

8mm eyepiece

Tal X2 Barlow

Antares Diagonal........

Thanks again

Jon

I think there are some diagonals about that are really cheap and are all plastic. I would not recommend one of those. I think the Antares 1.25 inch that I tested against the Tele Vue Everbright in that review is still available for purchase here:

For £20 they are pretty good :afro:

For information, just bought the Antares

Thanks John :thumbleft:

For £20 they are pretty good :afro:

For information, just bought the Antares

Thanks John :thumbleft:

Thats great :D - let us know what you think of it.

John

Archived