Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro repairs

niknak

• 3 weeks later...

Stripping one and rebuilding is not actually that hard if you have any mechanical nous.  It does though take a long time, especially if this is your first time round.  You need a good selection of tools and a large amount of patience for the final tune.  I reckon a minimum of a whole day to strip and rebuild (assuming no problems) and at least two days to get the mount tuned afterwards.  Last year I did an EQ6 and it took three rebuilds to get it right as I am a bit obsessive and wanted it running perfect plus still looking good.

Dont force anything, if something stuck patience, and more patience is needed.

I did think at one time of offering a rebuild service but its just too expensive and over the last couple of years I have had major health and personal problems which has meant its just not been possible at all.

I just stripped my HEQ5 down, cleaned and re-lubricated the bearings  and shafts with lithium grease and then put it back together - took around three hours from start to finish and now the mount is much more smoother, with no binding. 

Anyone can do it if they follow astro-baby's guide... simples :)

Archived