Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Peroni's Place - Another Keter 6' x 6' Shed Conversion

peroni

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's 0 degs outside and the shed is a toasty 6 degs  :laugh:

The heater is doing it's job nicely. No condensation on any walls, roof, floor, shelves, or kit. I've got the thermostat set at 8 degs as that seems to be just above the dew point last week. 

I also use a Keter shed

mine is very basic as its a lift off roof but I do have a pier and seeing that it is run from indoors via Teamviewer mine is much more cluttered with junk

I have the tube heater

many thanks for the thermostat link thats ideal

My shed may remain basic lift off only for a while. It really needs two people to do the lift, one at either end. This may force me to change to roll off so I don't have to ask wifey to lift the roof on at late o'clock in the early morning.

I'll have to give Teamviewer a go. It'll beat sitting outside in the cold and will save a few subs being ruined as I make my exit from the shed (the tripod doesn't like me walking past it :-)

When do you use these heaters? After a night when its wet with dew or all the time? Just wondering what problem made you need the heater. I keep going down to my obsy expecting to find it wet but at the moment all has been fine (cross fingers) .

When do you use these heaters? After a night when its wet with dew or all the time? Just wondering what problem made you need the heater. I keep going down to my obsy expecting to find it wet but at the moment all has been fine (cross fingers) .

Arrgh! just lost my reply to your question. I'll type it out again  :shocked:

I've had two imaging sessions in the obsy...

Session 1: There was really heavy dew that night with condensation everywhere. This was unusual and the next day had fog all day so obviously a lot of moisture in the air.

After this session I wanted to dry everything out so nothing shorted or started to rust.

Session 2: Heater was installed and everything was dry when I started. It was frosty outside and I turned off heater (it was set to come on at 8 degs) before removing roof. A little dew formed on top shelf but nowhere else. Kit was unaffected.

After session 2 I put the roof and heater back on. Checked in the morning and everything was dry.

The shed is quite well insulated as walls and roof are made from polycarbonate panelling which has an air filled cavity.

So you leave it on all the time then. I don't have permanent power I just plug in as required so continual heating is not an option. I have my solar vent fan which runs even on dull days , not sure what difference it makes but so far condensation \ dampness has not been a problem. If it does get to be a problem I will consider leaving the obsy powered during the winter and investing in one of these heaters.

Pic's of wood inserts glued in open top edges of panels as I found they spread a bit after a while and caught on the edge of the roof when pulling it down.

Excellent pics Dave.

I don't have this problem yet but no doubt will do at some point and now I know how to fix it  :grin:

So you leave it on all the time then. I don't have permanent power I just plug in as required so continual heating is not an option. I have my solar vent fan which runs even on dull days , not sure what difference it makes but so far condensation \ dampness has not been a problem. If it does get to be a problem I will consider leaving the obsy powered during the winter and investing in one of these heaters.

Yes, I have an extension cable running out to the obsy. The power is there always on ( or has been for a week so far, since I installed it ) and I use the thermostat plug to decide when to turn the heater on/off.

I'll need to get this power supply a more 'permanent' but I have to investigate a bit more first. Safety and regulations to consider! 

My current plan is to route a longer extension cable a bit neater around the borders but not sure.

Best not to use ordinary extension lead, I used this to run to the Obs'y, or you can use the steel armoured but it's harder to make off the ends if you haven't had a practice.

Thanks Dave. I was looking at the armoured cable today as well. I'll have a word with my electrician buddy and post what I go with. 

Thanks Dave. I was looking at the armoured cable today as well. I'll have a word with my electrician buddy and post what I go with. 

If you can get a sparks to make the ends of I'd go with the armoured if your lying it round the ground, I used the poly sheathed one as it's more flexible and easier to connect but mine is stapled along the fence so no chance of a spade going through it  :eek:

Dave

Archived