NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Identity crisis first light

iamjulian

Wasn't sure where to post this one really but will put it here because it is an observing report.  However, I need to update my footer because I have just switched from a 12" dob to an 8" EQ mounted reflector.  Yep, I am switching to imaging (insert pantomime boo).  Last night was my first light with the new scope and I spent a good couple of hours getting all the cables set up and trying to work out how to use the synscan handset.  All seemed to be working so I went for the first star in the alignment procedure - Vega.  Telescope immediately heads towards the floor :(  I realised that I had started the scope on the horizontal rather than in the "home" position.  Rooky mistake :)  Back on track but no sign of Vega in the field of view.  Took me about half an hour to realise I could do the fine adjustment at any slew speed rather than just very slowly and once I realised that I quickly found the close but not close enough blue star! 

Eventually got Vega and then Mizar in the middle of the field of view.  Alignment successful.  Time for the camera right?  Well, coming off the back of four or five years of visual observing, I didn't actually bother with the camera, instead I stuck with the eyepiece and had fun making the mount do all the hard work of finding stuff for me.  I do love the hunting with the dob and the sense of achievement when you find something, but I have to admit it was also a joy to be able to tell the telescope to show me stuff. 

OK so the sky is my oyster, what to look at first.  This is where I discovered that the handset requires Messier and NGC numbers.  No problem, I know most of the M numbers off by heart.  Or so I thought!  After a quick look at M57 and a stunning overhead view of M31 I was struggling with a complete mind blank.  If you give me a Messier number I can usually tell you what and where it is, but I was stumped.  The handset said I could choose double stars too so I had a quick look at beautiful Albireo then packed up for the night as the cloud was rolling in.  It was a very short first light, but I came in with a big smile and I am looking forward to doing both imaging and observing - who says you have to be in one camp or the other! :)

Great report. I was in that situation 9 months back using a goto mount (also with an 8" reflector at present) for the first time after years with a dob. It really opens up the sky once you start looking into the NGCs and even deeper stuff. Try heading for NGC5982 (Draco trio) or NGC 6946 (Fireworks galaxy in Cygnus) or NGC253 (Sculptor galaxy) if you've got a good S horizon… Of course you may already have star-hopped to these places … :smiley:

I picked up the first 2 volumes of the Night Sky Observing Guide and they're my main planning aid nowadays. And for those random nights at the scope without a concrete plan SkySafari is great.

cheers

Martin

Archived