Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimation.... Spot on.... It does really matter !

Yes, I am referring to focuser tilt which needs to be addressed as well. Also, the focuser may tilt on two planes, i.e. up / down and left / right.

The up / down is done as explained above. The left / right is done at the same time when the secondary is removed. Take a drinking straw or a chopstick or whatever is handy and shove it down straight the hole for the main secondary mounting screw. Light up your laser and see that it hits the straw / chopstick / whatever makes you happy in the middle. If not, it's back to the focuser mounting screws.

Full collimation should run as follows:

1. Measure spiders to be equidistant (unless you are offsetting your secondary)

2. Check focuser tilt on both axis

3. Check secondary position in terms of up / down relative to the focuser and for secondary rotation (you want the secondary to point directly to the focuser and you also want full illumination by centering the focuser up / down)

4. Check secondary to primary tilt and collimate

5. Check primary to secondary tilt and collimate.

6. Repeat steps 4 - 5 a couple of times if you are OCD to eliminate any residual marginal error.

Steps 1 - 3 done at home. 4 - 6 prior to observing and remember, if you collimate the scope as soon as you set it up, steps 4-5 must be repeated prior to commencing actual observing and your scope has already cooled down to a sufficient degree.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I am referring to focuser tilt which needs to be addressed as well. Also, the focuser may tilt on two planes, i.e. up / down and left / right.

The up / down is done as explained above. The left / right is done at the same time when the secondary is removed. Take a drinking straw or a chopstick or whatever is handy and shove it down straight the hole for the main secondary mounting screw. Light up your laser and see that it hits the straw / chopstick / whatever makes you happy in the middle. If not, it's back to the focuser mounting screws.

Full collimation should run as follows:

1. Measure spiders to be equidistant (unless you are offsetting your secondary)

2. Check focuser tilt on both axis

3. Check secondary position in terms of up / down relative to the focuser and for secondary rotation (you want the secondary to point directly to the focuser and you also want full illumination by centering the focuser up / down)

4. Check secondary to primary tilt and collimate

5. Check primary to secondary tilt and collimate.

6. Repeat steps 4 - 5 a couple of times if you are OCD to eliminate any residual marginal error.

Steps 1 - 3 done at home. 4 - 6 prior to observing and remember, if you collimate the scope as soon as you set it up, steps 4-5 must be repeated prior to commencing actual observing and your scope has already cooled down to a sufficient degree.

Very thorough proceedure- but it's important to emphasize that 99% of the time only steps 4 & 5 are needed before a session (unless you have dropped or dismantled your scope! I wouldn't want to put potential Newtonian scope owners off by making it seem more complicated than it is!

For beginners I would not recommend moving the secondary in any way from it's factory position (other than the tilt screws) as this is where most of the troubles seem to start.........

You are correct, I forgot to highlight that steps 1 - 3 done at home should be done once every blue moon unless the secondary assembly sees some serious action (like trying to obtain paratrooper's wings by engaging in freefall activities) !!!

Having read through this thread, I saw a bit about the importance for planetary viewing.

I'm sure I just have a cheap eyepiece, but could the fuzzyness/ unsharpness come from a bad collimation?

The stars seem good, just not really getting detail.

The seeing changes, but the planets don't by much.

Archived