Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

custom white balance

gary1968

Howdy,

I have finally gotten round to getting a modded dslr, yippee. Up until now I have been using my unmodded 1000d with a Astronomik CLS filter, the filter casts a blue hue to the images so I used a custom white balance to correct this.To do the custom white balance frame I use a white tee shirt draped over the from of the scope and pointed at an evenly lit field (i.e. the sky on a clear day). The resulting image is a bit blue but I then use this as the custom white balance frame and any shots taken are fairly well colour correct.

Now, my question is, when using the modded dslr do I still use a custom white balance taken with the modded camera and filter in the same way as described above?

I am unsure what the effects on the red light transmission will be if I do the same with the modded camera.

Your opinions appreciated.

Gaz

Hi,

First of all you dont need a custom WB on a modded camera, just use daylight or auto

Secondly, as you camera has now been modded and using an AStronomik CLS filter you will see when you take a daytime picture with the filter fitted the colour balance is almost perfect...try it...

This is because these AStronomik filters were designed to be used with modded cameras and not unmodded, in there design they correct the colour balance after the mod, back to almost perfect with no more green/ blue cats to images.

Like I say take a daytime pic with the filter fitted and one without and you will see what I mean

The custom WB was only used before to correct the colour shift when using that filter with an unmodded camera, now after the mod there will be hardly any noticeable colour shift, the filter corrects that.

Bit if you decide not to use the CLS filter, then you may need to look again at a custom WB.....but if you don't need the CLS you are a very lucky person not to suffer from LP here in The UK.

Hope that explains a bit

Regards

:) :)

SS

I had my 1100d modded by Juan http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/ just a few weeks ago.  I took a test shot of the Full Moon, with the Astronomik filter fitted.  It wasn't far off being right, but was a bit pink so I used this image to set a custom white balance.  This gave me a nice, natural looking Moon.

I have only had one session with the camera since then, so this is my first deep sky image since the mod, taken using the same custom white balance.

15411500989_2d19e7e32b_z.jpg

Horsehead and Flame Nebulae by porkyb, on Flickr

I think I'm going to enjoy using my 'new' camera.

Archived