NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How can I observe the sun

scottphillips

The best (and quite cheap for once!) way is to use a sheet of Baader Solar film.  This covers the whole of the front of the scope and allows perfectly safe viewing.  You need the 5.0 ND variety:  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html  and you can easily make up a holder if you have "Blue Peter" DIY skills.  If not then you can buy a ready made filter specific to your scope:  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

Either way Solar observing is perfectly safe and great fun - the Sun being one of the few astronomical targets that actually changes in a timescale that we can see!

I must add a couple of warnings - Don't forget to make a filter for your finder as well (or simply remove it) and NEVER (yes I am shouting!), never use an "eyepiece solar filter" (little filters that screw onto your eyepiece).  They sometimes come up cheap on certain auction sites.  They WILL shatter and they WILL result in blindness should you use one that has failed.  Sorry about that, but without due care you can easily do something that could result in a nasty and permanent injury.

Best advice from Roger. However, the filter will provide only view in white light.

If you want to view in Hydrogen-alpha, which will allow you to see prominences, filaments, etc., you will have to buy a custom built scope, I think. Those more experienced than I may know of a way to fit a filter onto a 'regular' scope but I don't.

Most economical way into Ha is the Coronado Personal Solar Telescope. Have a look in the used markets. (Think you have too few posts to enter the classified section here, so take a look on AstroBuySell.)

White light or Ha, you'll not regret 'going solar'. But you'll still need Clear Skies!

Not any more to add to the great advice given above, it does provide a greater opportunity to use your scope too :smiley: A peaked cap is always useful to prevent sunburn and to help shade the eyepiece thus enhancing the wonderful views.

I started with the Baader solar film and quickly moved to the Herschel wedge and then a dedicated solar scope, so be warned it is highly addictive :evil:

One further caveat is warranted here: If you get the Baader solar-film, or any other out there, ALWAYS check it BEFORE you use it for any damage - like a pinhole or tear. Do this every time you set up. Do NOT use one that has been so compromised. Your eyesight depends on it.

Don't let this scare you off. I've been viewing our local star with these sort of filters for many years - decades really - and have never had a problem. In fact I'm about to test-pilot a new Orion flexible-film filter on my ST80. I'll write up the results once I do. The mean, old clouds saw me coming and rushed in! As usual...

Clear Skies,

Dave

Archived