NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar System Focusing

Mav359

Hi guys

I recently bought a ASI 120mc to start doing some Planetary/Lunar/Solar shots using my 9.25.

I have thus far only been doing DSO's and focusing is relatively easy to achive with my auto focuser but (and i have only had a limited go) i struggled a little with the focusing on the Sun & the moon

How do you do you focusing with planetary etc? is it just by eye or is there a measurable method like a Bant or focusing software?

Cheers

focusing planets & solar objects isn't easy esp if the atmosphere is boiling, DSO's are far easier as they are small points of light much further away
mostly Planetary is down to your eye and get the best focus you can though it will never be perfect as it will go in and out, its trying to find the mid point
then just leave it, chasing focus is a waste of time, software sorts most of it out when you process the video's

focusing planets & solar objects isn't easy esp if the atmosphere is boiling, DSO's are far easier as they are small points of light much further away

mostly Planetary is down to your eye and get the best focus you can though it will never be perfect as it will go in and out, its trying to find the mid point

then just leave it, chasing focus is a waste of time, software sorts most of it out when you process the video's

i figured as much. I actually only tried it on the MAK127 but you olny have to blink nearby and the tripod picks up the vibration so its not easy. On the C9.25 it should be a lot better using the Auto Focuser

Cheers

I Can't not use it, Its a DIY job so its attached to the scope permentantley but once there is power to the motor it holds the focuser in place, acting as a lock & seems to have stoped mirror flop completly as a result.

Its looking clear tomorrow so i'm going to try and point at Neptune & Uranus and see what happens

Get you focus nailed with  a Bahtinov mask on a nearby bright star then slew back to your planetary target , then resist the temptation to tweak focus as the seeing will more than likely make you think it needs it , 'Chasing the seeing' is a mistake we all make to start with but it's a fruitless exercise , just catch plenty of frames and let PIPP and AS!2 sort them out ...  :smiley:

Get you focus nailed with  a Bahtinov mask on a nearby bright star then slew back to your planetary target , then resist the temptation to tweak focus as the seeing will more than likely make you think it needs it , 'Chasing the seeing' is a mistake we all make to start with but it's a fruitless exercise , just catch plenty of frames and let PIPP and AS!2 sort them out ...  :smiley:

That makes a lot of sense & i still have my mask from pre-auto focuser days.

Deffo try that

Cheers

Archived