Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does this look like a good deal?

If the mirrors are in good condition then it's a good deal. The Callisto branded scopes are the same as the Telescope Services (TS) dobsonians and the Mk I Revelation dobsonians that were sold by Telescope House a few years back. The scopes are made by GSO who make the Meade Lightbridge range.

Do check the condition of the mirrors though as the coatings on the GSO mirrors a few years back was very variable and I've seen a number of examples that needed re-coating which would add enough cost and hassle for the good deal to become not such a good one at all.

The eyepieces look to be Celestron Omni plossls which are decent but nothing spectacular. Good enough to let you have a lot of fun with an 8" dob though.

two tests are do they look shiny with no apparent scratches and if you shine a bright torch at the back of the main mirror. if you see flecks of light plan for a recoat. that said, my 12" fails the torch test and i expect a good few years out of it yet

As Shane says really. Some dust, the odd hair etc is quite normal but the mirror surface should look bright and evenly shiny right across. Flaking of the mirrored surface and / or milky patches are not what you want to see.

I've just noticed that one looks like it's just got a 1.25" eyepiece fitting. That can be a bit limiting as you might want to use a 2" eyepiece in due course to get a wider view. The larger size focuser can take 1.25" eyepieces as well by using a simple adapter.

It might be worth asking the current owner about the mirror condition and the size of the focuser. I could be wrong on the latter - it's a little hard to tell from the photos.

Archived