NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Monday Mojave

Pig

It looks like I chose a good time to book a day off work, I can only see one tiny cloud. The sun thinks Northampton is the Mojave desert today  :laugh:

Some lovely detail around the spot of the decade in both Ha and white light. ( or is it 25 years ?)

Ha (9mm Vixen SLV & Lunt 60mm)

The bright neon orange plage looks great next to the jet black spots, the contrast is amazing. There is also a detached prominence in roughly the same plane as the spot (11 O'clock) and a spurting prom in the 7 O'clock position, making viewing an even better spectacle.

Another huge filament has also appeared not far away from the already lengthy filament I saw on Saturday making the surface seem like it has a big crack across 3/4's of its diameter, the detail and mesmerising granulation effect  is also excellent across the whole of the disc.

What a wonderful colour :laugh:

White light (6mm Vixen SLV & 80mm Equinox with 1.25" Herschel wedge)

The huge star spot sure is something of a wonder, The detail surrounding it is just peachy, I cannot begin to say how fine the lattice work of the penumbra & crotchets are.

I am so pleased I have got the chance to see this wonderful spectacle on what what is forecast to be a perfect viewing day.

Every astronomer should get some kind of solar set up for times like this, a star in your own back garden :shocked:

Who needs a Quarky malarky .....  Pah :grin: ermmmm I do

Cheers Stu ... pesky work.

I am waiting for the postman today (Giro WR) and a plasterer was supposed to be here by now to do my kitchen.

At least the weather forecast got it right :grin:

Lovely stuff, Shaun and couldn't agree more. Today is a little overcast but last week and over the weekend, the Sun has just been spectacular. As you say, in what might very well be quote of the week...

Shaun: "Every astronomer should get some kind of solar set up for times like this, a star in your own back garden" :headbang:

Rob,

The sun is good at the worst of times, moments like this are very rare and quite exceptional. I feel quite privileged to be able to see such events :smiley:

Gordon,

I hope it get better for you because I know what a solar fan you are :smiley:

Wohoo - postman just turned up :laugh: the unboxing begins .... retail therapy rules

There were/are these two lovely bright white features coming from the main spot in white light. Not sure what they are called but lovely to see.

Also a prolonged nearly 2 hours worth of an M class flare has been happening peaking at M7.0.

Solar scopes a ready as I predict another X today. :D

Archived