SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Balancing. . .do I need more weight?

You wont  regret the 60° afov  afforded from this EP and just how comfortable it is to use  against the standard SW 10mm . Hope you have great seeing conditions for your trip. Weather up here in Scotland is just pants!

Just one note on the 8mm (any Starguider) when you twist the eyecup, ensure that it rises?  it may just slip at first. If it slips hold/grip much tighter, but once the eyecup rises once,  never does it stick again.  I think the mechanism is a little over torqued during manufacture, which allows the rubber eyecup to just slide/slip on first use. I had two that slipped first use, but  perfect since.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your mount is an EQ2 which has a max payload of 4 kg. The counterwight is only 2.5 kg approx and is the same as on EQ1 mounts that have a 2.5 kg max payload. Get another counterweight that is the same as what u have. I have done this in the past and it works

Your mount is an EQ2 which has a max payload of 4 kg. The counterwight is only 2.5 kg approx and is the same as on EQ1 mounts that have a 2.5 kg max payload. Get another counterweight that is the same as what u have. I have done this in the past and it works

4kg including the 2.5kg counterweight?

Ill have to weigh what I have then. . it's a non stop education is this! Cheers

4kg including the 2.5kg counterweight?

Ill have to weigh what I have then. . it's a non stop education is this! Cheers

No the 4kg relates to the payload that includes telescope, finderscope, diagonal, eyepiece & any imaging equipment that you might add

Thanks. . and should the counterweight be equal to this? I.e. if I'm carrying 4kg should the counter be 4kg too?

No because you can move it along the bar to get balance. All to do with what physicists call moments but I aint one of them. The bigger the mount payload the bigger the counterweights but for info an EQ3-2 can do about 7 kgs, an EQ5 10kgs and an EQ6 20 kgs.

I think your tube is steel, so these would work well. I use one on my dob.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-EXTRA-STRONG-MAGNETS-RUBBER-COATED-CAN-BE-USED-FOR-TAXI-ROOF-SIGNS-ETC-/271121678995?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item3f201c8293

out then on the bottom end of the tube on the opposite side of the tube to the weight at the top end (focuser, finder etc). you can obviously slide them about.

Used a set of these last night, seemed to help as balancing the tube was more central and all seemed more comfortable. . Thanks

I have one of these to add a second scope to a giro mount, but am not sure how it would help in this instance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you shift some weight from scope to bar so you ease up on load while adding weight to bar

Archived