Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How much better is a Celestron 9.25 S than an Skywatcher Explorer 200P

I currently have a Skywatcher Explorer 200P and very good it is, but I only have the supplied eyepieces and it could do with a motor. But now that I am hooked on staring at planets and anything else that lurks in the sky is it worth shelling out for a much more expensive scope like the Celestron 9.25 SC. Would I really gain that much more for what is for me rather a lot of money. Does anyone have experience of mooving from a budget scope to an expensive piece of kit.

Well what you've got isn;t a budget scope by any means. Many people (including myself) have an 8" reflector and for some, it's their weapon of choice. If I was you, I'd spend the money on better eyepieces, perhaps a better focuser and motorise your mount.

You can't really compare the two scopes as they're different designs and both have their strengths and weaknesses. The C9.25 does have an excellent reputation and many people use it as their sole machine but for me personally, your 8" reflector is a better all-rounder.

Tony..

At the end of the day the Celestron only has an extra inch and a quarter of aperture over the Skywatcher, I don't thing the views would increase enough to warrant an upgrade. As Tony has said, the 8" Newt is cheap as in 'bang for buck' but in no way 'budget', a Newt is just an easier/ cheaper design to implement than a SCT....but that doesn't make it any 'worse'.

BTW welcome to SGL :wink:

hi Jak, I have the same scope as you and love it!!! It has yielded amazing images of Saturn and deep sky objects. I suggest you get the baader hyperion lenses and a good mount. I have the EQ5 with the motors and GOTO system. Stick with it!!!!! ken

Ken,

I would agree with what other astronomers on SGL have said. I too have the Skywatcher 200mm Explorer (on the motorised HEQ5 mount). It is a great scope. I have added a Moonlight single speed focuser, and have bought some extra eyepieces.

I have over the years bought some additional scopes - looking for something which gives "better" views than the Skywatcher. I must admit that you could spend thousands on searching for the scope that gives you those magnificent views you are searching for, but after spending all that money, I do not think you would gain that much - and you would find that other scopes have their own shortcomings (as well as advantages).

It seems to be a case of trying to remain realistic with buying telescopes!

I have found that the Skywatcher 200 Explorer is about the best scope you can get - for the money!

I would go along with others and upgrade your mount, and buy some good eyepieces (I'm sure others on SGL would be able to advise you on what eyepieces to buy).

Best wishes,

philsail1

Welcome to SGL Jak.

Does anyone have experience of moving from a budget scope to an expensive piece of kit.

Absolutely, this hobby can cost you more than you can afford (it usually does!) if you're not careful.

Would I really gain that much more for what is for me rather a lot of money.

No.

I currently have a Skywatcher Explorer 200P and very good it is, but I only have the supplied eyepieces and it could do with a motor.

You need to buy a better mount, or at least a motor.

I have found that the Skywatcher 200 Explorer is about the best scope you can get - for the money!

philsail1

Edited for clarity.

The SCT is a more expensive design and so costs more to make compared to a Newtonian so they sell for more money. They are physically smaller but thats about where the difference ends. If you want high magnification for planets, the SCT wins because the focal length is higher and therefore the image scale for photography is bigger. If you want DSO hunting capabilites the Newt. wins as you get a wider field of view for a given eyepiece and a brighter view / faster imaging.

Keep the Newt., I'm not selling mine, and get a better mount or at the least a motor.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Well there you have it - a clear answer!

I have the same scope. Of all the kit I've owned and sold, I have kept this scope longest and I've never really wanted to sell it, except once when I was considering upgrading to a 12" dob...

Simply superb for all-round viewing, and as a first scope, it will keep you satisfied for years, if not for a lifetime. I don't believe that this can be said for (m)any other scopes.

Andrew

Can only echo what has already been said. Unless you have a desire to move into high resolution planetary imaging the C9.25 isn't going to give you too much extra. As the others have said, there's pros and cons to both designs. But the Newt is the easier to maintain and quicker to cool down.

But i would kill for a C9.25 or C11 in the next few years.

Well, I'm rather taken aback by all the helpful advice - and not a single comment about my spelling - or maybe your spelling is as bad as mine :wink:. Thanks all - gota go and buy some lenses and motors. Thanks again.

Archived