Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMac and Yosemite OS

kerrylewis

Strangely EQMac is the only application I have found incompatible.  Pixinsight, The Sky X Pro  and PHD2 all seem to work.  Seems pretty a pretty nice upgrade so far and telephone calls from the Mac is handy and cool!  Hopefully can properly test all the astro hardware with it soon......

Nick

I have EQMac running on my machine which is running Yosemite. It is not hooked up to my EQ8 however. But the program launches and appears to run. I will try to connect to my mount this weekend and see if it crashes then.

My version of EQMac is 1.3.2 beta.

Hope this helps.

Gaetano

Glad you got it working Nick.

What other Mac software are you running with EQMac, may I ask? I am trying to control my mount (EQ 8) and start imaging with my setup, but want to stay Mac based with the software if at all possible.

Thanks for your time.

Gaetano

Hi Gaetano,

I have mostly been using windows 7 up until now but plan to go fully Mac one day.  The software that I have on the Mac side is:-  The Sky X Pro with Camera Add on, EQMac, QSEye (CCD control for QSI), PHD1/2, Nebulosity 3 and AstroIIDC for firewire planetary imaging.

Hope that helps,

Nick

I have EQMac running on my machine which is running Yosemite. It is not hooked up to my EQ8 however. But the program launches and appears to run. I will try to connect to my mount this weekend and see if it crashes then.

My version of EQMac is 1.3.2 beta.

Hope this helps.

Gaetano

+1

/T

Have now upgraded to Yosemite and EQMac looks fine though I have not yet connected it to the mount.

Gaetano - I don't have the EQ8 but the AZ EQ6GT. When I got my Macbook Pro I did a comprehensive check on various planetarium software to see which would work with the mount. I tried each with and without EQMac and either directly to the mount or via the handset. the results were pretty mixed as follows:

EQMac alone: OK  to mount and OK to handset

Starry Night Pro 6: Would not connect in any configuration.

Sky Safari: Works with EQMac but not direct despite having Skywatcher in the menu.

Equinox: Connects via the handset but not direct to the mount and does not work with EQMac. This was with the 'trial' version so I did not proceed with Equinox and buy the licence.

Stellarium: Connects direct to mount or via handset but I could not get to connect via EQMac.

The result of this is that I use Sky Safari + EQMac and I've not retried the others. These are my findings but I would be interested to see how others have fared and any tips for the options that did not work for me

Kerry  

I've also upgraded.. I'll have to wait for the next clear night to really check...

@Gaetano - I've used an HEQ5 Pro, EQ6 and AZ-EQ6 with my setup and EQMac works a treat using an EQDIR module (I haven't tried using the handset). I've had similar experiences to Kerry above - Sky Safari and Stellarium have both worked for me through the EQDIR module though. 

Starry Night Pro (an older version) has never worked for me so I gave up on it.

The SkyX has worked for me through the handset but I'm struggling to get it to work through the EQDIR module. I'm hoping to sort this as I'm currently using the TheSkyX for controlling my Atik camera but I find EQMac easy enough to use that I don't mind using it separately from TheSkyX for camera control (or Nebulosity or NickK's Atik exampleApp for that matter).

@Kerry - with SkySafari I've had it work through EQDIR by setting the connection up (I *think*) through the "WiFi or Ethernet" option, putting in my laptops IP address, port 4030 and choosing scope type of Meade LX-200 classic, mount type Equatorial Goto... I'll have to double check this next time it's clear :) I think I had to fiddle my Mac's firewall settings too but I'll need to check that. Sorry for the lack of precision but I know it can be made to work!!

James

Hello  James

I'll try the settings for Sky Safari as you suggest.

How do you like Sky X in general? Which version have you got?

I've been tempted, but it's not cheap and would be good to get some views. I saw an internet review which preferred Carina Voyager but I know nothing about that program and it doesn't seem to get mentioned much.

Kerry 

I prefer the looks of Sky Safari myself but TheSkyX does a lot more like camera control, albeit at a cost of course... I'm using the Pro version and there's an annual charge/subscription for it (although the software still works fine if you don't renew). I can also guide with it and image and I quite like the idea of having most of my imaging routine in one application... although it'll be a while before I give up PHD and Nebulosity if ever..

Voyager is an old application which turned into Sky Safari.. If I remember correctly there were arguments over trademarks and naming rights and what was Voyager under Carina became Sky Safari under Southern Stars... I'm probably way off with the details but I remember being disappointed at the time but relieved that Sky Safari turned out OK :) Voyager hasn't been updated for several years now but I always thought it was visually the nicest planetarium app to use.

James

Thanks Kerry and everyone else for input as to what software they are using for Mac only use with EQMac. Will be doing some further testing in the coming weeks when I get the opportunity and will report back my findings for everyone.

Clear skies, 

Gaetano

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so far so good... I had to reinstall the Prolific driver from here: http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=229&pcid=41 but having done so all looks good with EQMac :)

James

An update... it works and all is good except... when trying to link to the mount when EQMac is loaded I get the dreaded yellow dot, not green. The only way around this seems to be setting everything up, turning it all on, then linking to my laptop and rebooting the laptop. From then, all goes swimmingly for the rest of the night... unless I accidentally pull out the USB cable (rare) or the power gets cut (less rare). Then I have to reboot the laptop again to get it to connect.

Previously I'd used other drivers for the EQDIR module I'd been using that someone had created - it now looks like those drivers have been upgraded (?) for Yosemite and require payment upfront... I guess I may need to give them a go :)

James

Archived