Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suggested beginner book for binocular users

FenlandPaul

Hi all

My wife and I have arranged for a nice pair of Revelation 20x80s and a tripod for my father-in-law's 65th birthday. He's always shown an interest in looking through my binoculars and telescope when I used to own one, but essentially he's a complete beginner.

Can anyone suggest any useful books to help him find his way around the sky with his bins? He lives in rural Gloucestershire so has enviable skies. Clearly one of the books on my list is Stephen's Binocular Astronomy. I took at look at Turn Left as well but this seems more suited to a small scope?

Any ideas really appreciated. I'd love to have another addicted stargazer in the family!

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only one needed is this. But do get him Turn Left At Orion as it is a great introduction to the night sky and generally astronomy, of which binocular astronomy is a part.

Also for binocular star maps the author of the book has a freeware as well.

Phil Harrington also has a column here.

Hope this helps! Your father in law is one lucky guy as this is a wonderful gift to get him engaged in a new direction.

Archived