Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

canon dslr to scope question

riggers69

hi guys and gals

I have a canon 1100d dslr and celestron nexstar 127slt with the connecting adaptor to mount the camera directly to the back of the scope.

Now the question. it seems for example it i aim at the moon with the above set up, i do not have any ability to "zoom in", if i buy something like these extension rings http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161282352955?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT would i be able to zoom in or would they zoom out?

Im a relative newby to this line of viewing so any helpful advise would be gratefully recieved. 

Thanks for looking :grin:

no I don't think it would work, possible stop you getting focus as you are too far back

you would be better with an x2 barlow attached to the camera

Thanks for the reply. How would I attach on to my camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a T-ring with a 1.25" nose piece. The nose piece fits into a barlow and the barlow into the optical back of the telescope.  (The optical back is the  place where the diagonal attaches to the scope.)

I aim at the moon with the above set up, i do not have any ability to "zoom in"

Can you focus the Moon clearly with the Camera mounted directly? If not you might need an extension tube to reach the point of focus (prime focus). But if you can already focus the Moon clearly then such tubes will move the camera sensor away from the focus position.

Your telescope is not a zoom lens, it is a fixed lens of 1500mm focal length. The use of a 2x Barlow would double the focal length to 3000mm.

I use a T-ring with a 1.25" nose piece. The nose piece fits into a barlow and the barlow into the optical back of the telescope.  (The optical back is the  place where the diagonal attaches to the scope.)

so if i was to use the celestron t-ring  i use now to connect my camera to the scope, along with this 

125inch-adaptor-M42x0.75mm.jpg

i could use my barlow to zoom in?

8e10d9e36382cf4a08742f873287ce03.jpg

This is a pic of the celestron t ring on my canon and my baadar Barlow mounted in the back of my scope. It does look like the adaptor above would fit inside the t ring and then into the Barlow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a pic of the celestron t ring on my canon and my baadar Barlow mounted in the back of my scope. It does look like the adaptor above would fit inside the t ring and then into the Barlow

Yes, it should work.

If you want to add a little less magnification you can try taking off the barlow's lens cell, and screwing it directly onto the nose piece. If it fits of course.

Yes, it should work.

If you want to add a little less magnification you can try taking off the barlow's lens cell, and screwing it directly onto the nose piece. If it fits of course.

i was thinking that lol. time to go shopping.

thanks for your help hopefully i'll be boring everyone with pics soon lol

hi guys and gals

I have a canon 1100d dslr and celestron nexstar 127slt with the connecting adaptor to mount the camera directly to the back of the scope.

Now the question. it seems for example it i aim at the moon with the above set up, i do not have any ability to "zoom in", if i buy something like these extension rings http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161282352955?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT would i be able to zoom in or would they zoom out?

Im a relative newby to this line of viewing so any helpful advise would be gratefully recieved. 

Thanks for looking :grin:

You will never have an ability to zoom in and out with a telescope set up that way. You are simply using your telescope to replace the normal camera lens where it will then act as a long fixed focal length lens. So you basically replace your standard 18-55mm zoom DSLR lens with a fixed F10 1000mm lens (the 127 might be different but for sake of example let's use that). You can use a barlow which effectively multiplies your focal length. So a typical barlow connected between camera and telescope in that case transforms it into an F20 2000mm lens but again it is fixed focus.

For any kind of zoom you would need to use some form of eyepiece projection with a zoom eyepiece.

Archived