What telescope to buy that enables long exposure photography

scottphillips

Hey guys,

Could anyone help? 

I am looking to purchase a telescope that enables me to take long exposure photos of galaxies, nebulae and clusters !

What setup/telescope would i need as i have been confused with the options of a GoTo, to an equatorial mount etc i would like a straight forward answer and maybe a link to the perfect package for me haa !

My budget for a telescope is around £400-£500 

Thanks

Hey guys,

Could anyone help? 

I am looking to purchase a telescope that enables me to take long exposure photos of galaxies, nebulae and clusters !

What setup/telescope would i need as i have been confused with the options of a GoTo, to an equatorial mount etc i would like a straight forward answer and maybe a link to the perfect package for me haa !

My budget for a telescope is around £400-£500 

Thanks

For long exposure DSO imaging the most important bit of the equipment is a driven and guidable equatorial mount without which no meaningful DSO imaging could be done. Perhaps a used SW EQ5 Pro. These turn up at times for about £250.00~£350.00. As for the scope you'd need a fast ED and regretably these are not cheap an alternative could be a newtonian such as SW 130PDS . A DSLR is probably your best bet for a starter camera . I think that you may need to revise your budget as there areother necessary bits and pieces that are required for imaging.

A.G

No cheap equipment will allow easy, Hubble alike DS imaging. You must be aware that for example DSLR imaging with a basic setup or a lens on an equatorial mount will be lower in quality and will require a lot of processing to make it look "good".

On a low budget you can try some cheap EQ mount for DSLR (with drivers) and do widefield imaging with the DSLR and a lens (no telescope). Short focal length will allow you to avoid guiding (which needs money).

A mount for long exposures is a costly item, then there guiding, yet another scope ST-80 and a CCD/DSLR to fit in it, a HEQ5 is about as low as you would want to go, short focal length scopes track better than long focal length, galaxies due to the small size will require  a longer focal length something like a Skywatcher Newt 200mm, its not a cheap part of astronomy, the mount being the most important part, GoTo is a must have.... 

Archived