Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QSI w/5 slot or Starlight Xpress w/5 slot mini wheel

AstroEd

Hi, want to jump into CCD imaging and am trying to decide between the simplicity of a one shot color camera or the "more detailed/quality" mono with filter wheel. New to imaging, have PTSD so my learning is way slower than the average persons. Looking for best option to use on a 11" EdgeHD w/Hyperstar. In the mono arena I am trying to decide between. QSI that has the 5 slot filter wheel built in (not the one with a guider option as I have a 80mm guide scope.) or the Starlight Xpress with the mini 5 slot filter wheel. Not sure which is best for Hyperstar with out blocking too much of the light path. Also best CCD chip to compliment the 11" EdgeHD.

Currently imaging with a Mallincam Extreme and a origional mono lodestar with lodestar live.

I might be wrong but I'd have thought that any camera with filterwheel might be a bit big for the Hyperstar? Wouldn't you be better off with an OSC of the slimmest profile possible, perhaps like the cylindrical Atik 460? I don't normally recommend OSC over mono but the Hyperstar is a special case.

Olly

Like Olly, I was pretty certain that a Hyperstar would benefit from one of the cylindrical camera's, like the Atik 460 for example. I remember when it came out one of the things was that it was Hyperstar compatible. There's a few folks using a Hyperstar on the forum, the one that springs to mind is 'Mike Hawtin' - Perhaps drop him a line and see what he recommends. 

Thanks folk, reason I am having difficulty is 2 differant sales people mentioned these mono filter wheel options for Hyperstar looks like they were just trying to make money instead of being honest about the setups limitations TY for saving me time and money and helping me see I should not trust sales people.

Thanks folk, reason I am having difficulty is 2 differant sales people mentioned these mono filter wheel options for Hyperstar looks like they were just trying to make money instead of being honest about the setups limitations TY for saving me time and money and helping me see I should not trust sales people.

You need cylinderical camera and if it is mono the only way oyu can have filters on and off is by using a filter drawer. TS and Gerd Neuman supply these but these are not automated.

A.G

On the one shot color versions I was looking at the Starlight Express Trius SX-694c or Trius SX-25c.

694 is more sensitive but the 25c has the size on its side. I would seriously  consider a Mono camera with a filter drawer before making a decision.

A.G

What would be the better mono and which ones have the largest pixels vs sensitivity?

With a Hyperstar you are working @ f2 and faster so the FL is about 550mm with a C11. This is perfect for something like an Atik 460 or 490. The other issue that maybe  of concern is the use of NB filters as these are normally designed to work down to about f4 or a little faster. Baader now has new NB filters that are supposed to work down to f2 but as usual the price is very high

A.G

Archived