Silicon Gel do you use it?

scarp15

I am aware that there are some people on here that use silicon gel inside their eyepiece case as an added precaution against harmful consequences to the contents inflicted by moisture. I have two silicon gel desiccant humidity moisture boxes that are designed to be used with photography equipment. I have never really used them as the intended purpose was always to use at starparties (when it is usually cloudy) or any other over night observing trip. Once I arrive home after a session, I thoroughly dry eyepieces, filters and everything else by leaving the caps off  for the rest of the evening and the case partially left open. 

However I have since began to keep one of these boxes permanently inside my eyepiece case, particularly as I now have so much very expensive glass inside that it will do no harm and provide a bit more piece of mind. I may install the other in my camera bag where I keep all other items. They are easy to reactivate in a microwave.

Do you do similar?

Here is a picture of mine in situ: (probably should have posted this pic on show your eyepiece case thread). 

post-22819-0-42060200-1411909671.jpg

My one of those boxes melted in the microwave. Not fully but enough to let all the beads out. These days I just use old film canisters with holes in and bulk loads of indicating silica beads from Ebay. It's cheap and it works. 

That's a good idea and thanks for the warning.

Yes I do use sachets - not as posh as your box but used for the same purpose.

Splendid EP collection in there, too, I see!

Thanks the e.p's have undergone some changes lately.

Yes I do keep sachets as well, though wasn't so sure as to how long lasting they are or how easy to reactivate, where as the box ought to be quite sustainable in its function. Not too posh a box just purchased off ebay. 

That's a good idea and thanks for the warning.

They're OK if you just do short blasts in the microwave (30 seconds or so) and let them cool before repeating. Chiltonstar makes a good point too. I remember my Tal came with silica in a little cloth bag - some combination of that and a plastic trap of some kind might be a good idea.

They're OK if you just do short blasts in the microwave (30 seconds or so) and let them cool before repeating. Chiltonstar makes a good point too. I remember my Tal came with silica in a little cloth bag - some combination of that and a plastic trap of some kind might be a good idea.

Thanks for that advice my understanding is 5 min medium / low power in the microwave, so 30 second short blasts followed by a pause for cooling is good to prevent any possibility of melting. I am glad that I have posted this topic now  :smiley:

Archived