NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars - first easy objects to find

nwink

I just yesterday got my first stargazing equipment of some 15x70 binoculars.  Other than the moon and planets, what are some easy objects to start out looking for in the sky?  (I apologize if there have been multiple threads already on this topic.  If so, point me in the direction of those threads please.)  Thank you!

Hi nwink!

Do you have any books or software to help your search? Books like 'Turn Left At Orion' or a simple constellations guide; free software like Stellarium; plus there's a good website called Skymaps, and of course Binocular Sky....I ask because having a few resources like these at your fingertips will be invaluable as you learn the night sky (the learning's fun tho, and even if it takes ages to find something, the actual finding is really rewarding). Plus, if you have a list you'll still need to know where to start looking for each peachy cluster or sweet starfield...plus I'm useless at coordinates or technical pointers (you have homework, y'see! Easy to look up on the spaceways, er, internet)

So here's a couple of staple 'must sees': the list is, er, light heartedly given (others here much brainier than me can fill in the proper bits!)

M31, Andromeda Galaxy - it will be a fuzzy ovoid down a bit from the wonky W of Casseopia. Your friendly next door Galaxy!

The Coathanger - a grouping of stars near and down from the bright star pretty much overhead at 8-10pm, which is Vega. Guess what the group happens to look like?

The Pleiades - a beautiful gathering of stars that can be seen in the East, rising to overhead through the night. It looks like a misty, sultry patch to the naked eye then becomes drop-dead gorgeous with binoculars. Go down from the Pleiades to see another pretty thing, the Hyades, right by a bright star which is Aldebaran in Taurus.

M13 - Ye Great Cluster in Hercules. It will look like a grainy blob, but a good blob! I always think of a clock as it had two stars for hands close by.

While you're up near Vega, have a look there at the double stars (in fact double-double, but you'll need a scope to see the four stars). Just to one side of Vega - can't miss em.

I've just noticed you're in Indiana: do you have nice dark skies there? It'll be like looking into a vast jewelbox if you do....

Oh and have a look here on SGL at the binoculars observing section.

And don't be discouraged by the search for each of the above - took me ages to find M13! - find em once and it's easier the next. And the finding as well as the searching is fun ( ok, the searching can sometimes be frustrating, but it's all part of finding your way songs upstairs! )

Enjoy it all, and welcome to SGL!

:) :) :)

Some good advice above. It gets easier to find things when you know the sky/constellations.  Your 15x70 will show a great many objects and one of the best regions to have a look around is Cassiopeia - a pattern of stars in the north which looks like a W

Have a read through this section of SGL, hope you enjoy the binoculars.

Observing - with Binoculars - Stargazers Lounge

andrew

Archived