SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Herefordshire Astronomy Group

astrophotmag

Hi all.

I have desperately been trying to organise a monthly meet in the mountains of Herefordshire near HR2 0LA, not the exact location, but there abouts. There is a village hall that I can hire and if enough people join up, even catering will be provided. The skies in this area are truly amazing with the Milky way and M31 sticking out like a sore thumb on clear moonless nights.

It is a real shame that this location is not being used more than it is as I am sure that I am the only one within quite a radius that is taking advantage of thse perfect, clear skies.

If anyone is interested, please get in touch as it has been something I have been trying to get off the ground for quite some time, the website is up and running, but as I am a new member bere, I am unsure if I am able to mention the web address as I do not wish to get suspended from the forum as I long to ttend your events in the future.

If you are local and like the sound of my proposal, please get in touch as I woul dlove to chat more to you about my plans.

Many thanks

• 4 years later...

Realise the original post here is quite old but I'm in HR2 area and would be interested in observing evenings. Current member of Hereford Astro and attend their monthly obs meetings.

HR2 0LA for me would be via Peterchurch. HAS observe from HR1 4PJ (Fownhope)

Francis

@fwm891Francis we met last night at Fownhope and I did not appreciate you were a member of SGL. I can now see why you wanted to observe NGC 891 last night. I am not sure you are aware but we also have an arrangement at Madley EDC next to the BT Station - this is close to you at Kingstone.

By the way hope you are successful with your wanted advert it will make life so much easier with a RDF and a correct image right angled finderscope.

17 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

@fwm891Francis we met last night at Fownhope and I did not appreciate you were a member of SGL. I can now see why you wanted to observe NGC 891 last night. I am not sure you are aware but we also have an arrangement at Madley EDC next to the BT Station - this is close to you at Kingstone.

By the way hope you are successful with your wanted advert it will make life so much easier with a RDF and a correct image right angled finderscope.

Thanks Mark,

Great help last night from all concerned. 891 has been a favourite of mine for years since first imaging it. Not sure what the arrangement is with Madley EDC I've been thinking about taking my scope over to the Kingstone sports field which has very low horizons all round and I think the skies might be slightly darker than Fownhope, but access not so good.

See what comes of the add - not too expensive so may just get one anyway...

Francis

34 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Thanks Mark,

Great help last night from all concerned. 891 has been a favourite of mine for years since first imaging it. Not sure what the arrangement is with Madley EDC I've been thinking about taking my scope over to the Kingstone sports field which has very low horizons all round and I think the skies might be slightly darker than Fownhope, but access not so good.

See what comes of the add - not too expensive so may just get one anyway...

Francis

Francis

The staff at Madley EDC want to develop astronomy and we usually organise a star party for them about once per year. We normally access the site via the old airfield although I appreciate that the main gate is usually locked. Last night Rob took a reading of 20.7 but I can't remember the reading at Madley although the site is dark as you mentioned.

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Francis

The staff at Madley EDC want to develop astronomy and we usually organise a star party for them about once per year. We normally access the site via the old airfield although I appreciate that the main gate is usually locked. Last night Rob took a reading of 20.7 but I can't remember the reading at Madley although the site is dark as you mentioned.

Out of interest I looked at the sky simulation for Kingstone, Hereford still a blot to the NE:

Francis

Kingstone-skies.jpg

Archived