Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

September 19, 2014: Some very nice proms visible during lunchtime

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Just had another "solar lunch" and the sun was putting on quite a show. The south-east limb showed some massive proms. The northern-most was a very nearly semi-circular mass of plasma, with a slight peak on the southern side. Further south a series of laerg features stood out boldly, one of them detached. Nearby several filaments could be seen on the surface. The southernmost of these remained visible, and even seemed to darken as I tuned the etalon off band. Never seen such contrast at that setting before. The centre of the disk showed quite a few thin filaments and areas of bright plage. Westwards more filaments and some small proms were visible. Quite a few people gathered round and had a look, and everybody was suitably impressed with the views. Great fun! 

Nice report, Michael.

I'm forgetting what solar lunch is like! A lock out all week from my cloudy patch of the world! Saturday is looking a bit poor too, my hopes are on Solar Sunday! Hope everyone catches some rays over the weekend. Some newbie spots have been moving in so fingers crossed!

Good stuff, Michael.

'Fraid, like Luke, haven't seen anything in the sky, night or day, for more than a week. This wee corner of the country has been in a box of dirty cotton wool. Even when it hasn't been raining there has been nothing but cloud, mist and murk.

Have taken delivery (from Massachusetts) of a sun finder gadget for my frac but haven't had the chance to put it into use yet.

Missing my solar 'fix' - but the sky must open again sometime soon ...??

Archived