NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fermats Last Theorem and π

Watched this Horizon program from 1996 on iPlayer about Andrew Wiles solving it.  It seems incredible that the mathematics relating to elliptical curves and toroids could have anything to do with solving that theorem.  Amazing stuff!

Why does π occur in so many matters relating to the Universe?  What should the ratio of circumference and diameter have so much to do with so many things?!!!!!

I would guess it is because they are all conic sections (circle, parabola, hyperbola, ellipse), and as π is the ration of diameter and circumference of one (circle) it would seem to be fundimental to the whole lot.

π is just one of a number that occur like e, they are the only two that actually jump into recollection.

It's those pesky unit circles, they hide everywhere, wherever we use sin, cos, tan, radians, complex functions, exponentials, they're hiding in there somewhere.

I blame Euler:  z = eit = cos( t ) + isin( t ), it was him what started it.

I remember watching that program when it first aired, mind boggling!

Ray

• 1 month later...

Archived