NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Milky Way, Cygnus in there somewhere!

Now that the nights are starting to close in it'll be time to spend some outdoor moments getting cold hands ... though not just yet as the evenings are lovely and warm(ish).

Milky Way image. 36 x 1min exposures, stacked and processed. Nikon D3200, 14mm, F5. Astrotrac.

Quite pleased with the result, especially catching the shooter. Just not sure how I get more colour into it (sure it has to be in there!).

post-13336-0-93618900-1410548887_thumb.p

That's a lot of stars. nice detail, I can make out the North America Nebula clearly. I'd try adjusting the colour balance though, it's very blue.

With 36 frames you should be able to get rid of the satellite trails if you wanted to by using  one of the Statistical stacking methods. This would also remove the "shooter" but you could add that in afterwards...

Good tip thanks, I haven't experimented with the different stacking modes in DSS yet.

Nice :)

With 36 frames you should be able to get rid of the satellite trails if you wanted to by using  one of the Statistical stacking methods. This would also remove the "shooter" but you could add that in afterwards...

Peter...

I did get a version without the trails, but in a strange way I sort of like this. Shows how busy the sky is! :)

That's a lot of stars. nice detail, I can make out the North America Nebula clearly. I'd try adjusting the colour balance though, it's very blue.

Good tip thanks, I haven't experimented with the different stacking modes in DSS yet.

I found this colour seemed to show the most detail, when I ended up with a monochrome image it just seemed to washout on me.

My weakness is definitely processing. When I see what other people produce shooting the same object it shows I have a lot to learn!

When you finished the stack and saved the image, did you select the option to apply adjustments ? That's normally what happens. The default 'adjustments' in DSS (which are designed to give a brief preview, rather than for editing, as they're a bit harsh), leave virtually no colour in the image. So either you need to embed the adjustments, or bump the saturation slider in DSS up by 20% to 25%.

To be honest, even the author of DSS does not recommend using the adjustments available, and recommends using a more refined editing tool. However, they are easier to get started with than trying to adjust the image in PS with curves when you're first starting out. 

Archived