NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hot or cold

One word - slugs! They get absolutely everywhere and we seem to have a plague of them this year. Most protective covers do not provide a complete seal.

Other hazards include high winds and frost. Generally, I'd say it's not a good idea to leave a scope outside with just a cover.

Hi Graham, welcome to the forum, I always keep mine set up inside just the other side of the double doors leading to the patio, just a short lift out into the garden then.  No, I think it is best to keep it inside, only takes 5 minutes to break down and reset back up.  If you park it in the garden with a cover you will get all sorts of gremilns and cobwebs creeping in, as well as damp however well you cover it.

I keep indoors. A Dobsonian takes up less space fully assembled than an EQ mount. Easy to lift out when required. But I always keep it covered with a white  cotton sheet and   a  heavy duty polythene clear  cover! to keep the by-products of  any kitchen process's from entering the telescope.

Besides assorted bugs that for whatever reason like making a scope their residence of preference there is general warming and cooling, but also rain and moisture.

The moisture is not neutral, it is mildy acidic and the mirror is where it will condense.

Also it carries small amounts of minerals that are left as deposits after it has evaporated..

Both are minor but a minor amount occuring every cycle of day/night adds up.

Would it not be simpler to store the mount.tripod as one bit and the scope seperately removed from the mount.

That certainly makes dragging one in and out a lot easier.

Thankyou all for taking the time to try and help me, I will pay attention to your advice {everyone seems to be of the same opinion} and keep it inside, it is not set up as yet because I wanted some advice and was hoping it could be kept outside, I only have limited knowledge regarding telescopes so expect to here from me again! by the way can you get a decent view of the M73 {not the one in Glasgow!] from a EQ5?

A cover is great in the right circumstances, i have for my dob (its my dob in the below sites photo) which sit outside all the time but under a covered area by the back door so its a heavy duty dust cover as its protected from the elements, I got it from these

http://neilross758.wix.com/cygnus-astro-covers

I you want to leavve it out for a few nights as its a clear spell and your confident its not going to go walkies id say it will be fine.

Archived