Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

complete new setup

Been communicating all week with Larry @ OPT and here's what we've come up with. I've decided to buy this setup and use my canon t4i for a while prior to buying a new CCD. I'd really appreciate any thoughts and/or opinions!! So far as what I'm planning to do with.... Obviously some DSP AP as well as enjoying some visual looking around.post-22697-14102680298_thumb.jpg

Hi

Well I'm sure nobody would say an FSQ-106 isn't a good scope! Most people can't afford such expensive kit! I hope you enjoy it and make good use of it. I presume you've had previous AP experience?

Of course, the kit also needs a good mono ccd, filter wheel and filters. Not to mention processing skill and dark skies!

Louise

Been communicating all week with Larry @ OPT and here's what we've come up with. I've decided to buy this setup and use my canon t4i for a while prior to buying a new CCD. I'd really appreciate any thoughts and/or opinions!! So far as what I'm planning to do with.... Obviously some DSP AP as well as enjoying some visual looking around.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1410268027.462116.jpg

That is a very impressive list. I am more curious as to what made you go for this set up?

Regards,

A.G

All fairly high end kit... You say you are new? I guess high end is one way to start. At least you won't have to upgrade soon! I'd start a little more conservatively until I was sure I enjoyed the hobby. AP can be VERY frustrating and lots of new APers decide it's not the hobby for them. But, if money so no object, go for it. You can always sell it off later and high end equipment does sell well.

Mike

To echo others that is sort of jumping in with both feet.

It would I expect take you a few years to get used to the equipment and get the best of of it, the drawback is that you could get fed up before that occurs. A lot of AP is in the processing.

Something like an iOptron ZEQ25 would allow up to 120 second exposures without the guide aspect yet.

Couple that to a WO GTF81, or the smaller WO Star 71, and that is a starting setup for about $3000 I am guessing.

You then add the guider a bit later, when you decide the time is right.

iOptron do mounts that take a heavier weight I mention the ZEQ25 as someone posted images with that scope of 120 seconds recently so I have seen that it can do 120 seconds unguided, And it may be a good idea to get one that handles greater capacity for future additions, the iEQ30 or iEQ45.

There is also a good imaging scope by APM that looks very interesting, it would be an import to you however, so that I suppose adds in some complications.

APM81

Larry@OPT must have really liked the day you rang up.

Prior to this new setup, I had a new Meade LX90 ACF 10in and Canon T4i, unsure of European name. I know I love AP and wanted a lifetime setup.

I went with the Bisque Paramount because I'm a MAC guy through and through. They made software for MAC first and then created a mount wrapped around their software. It's been my experience that this ALWAYS a very good thing. Also I hope to be in a new house in a few years where I'll most likely add a larger OTA to the mount. I'd prefer to buy a mount once and it seemed the obvious choice. I originally included a QSI CCD in this order, but I opted to use all this equipment visually and with my T4i till I'm comfy and then add a new CCD.

I chose the scope by scanning LOTS of other peoples work and picked the images I'd most love to able to take. Far more than any other, the FSQ106 was listed on the images I chose.

I tried hard and spent a lot of time on this. I didn't come to these decisions without a great deal of research.

And I hope Larry did!! He was so helpful and in no way "out to spend my money". He's a pro.

Thanks everyone here also. I do understand now that everyone feels I've overkilled, but I hope and believe a few years from now I'll have grown into and love my equipment. Any shortcomings in my images will be my shortcomings and not my equipment's. ,

Just one thing to add to that kit would probably be an auto focuser. The 106's are well known for not holding focus one there's any temperature change. In fact  I was talking to someone the other day with one and he reckons he needs to refocus (well the auto focuser does!) every 20-30 minutes. 

As focus is the killer on an image, then this is surely a must with such high end kit. Not kit I'd have gone with, but it's all done now - I'm sure you'll enjoy it ;grin:

I am certain that I'll get LOTS of sympathy here, but my FSQ-106EDXIII arrives on Monday, all the rest on Tuesday.... except the mount and tripod which could take a couple weeks to arrive. This leaves me playing make-believe with my FSQ for weeks [emoji17]

I am certain that I'll get LOTS of sympathy here, but my FSQ-106EDXIII arrives on Monday, all the rest on Tuesday.... except the mount and tripod which could take a couple weeks to arrive. This leaves me playing make-believe with my FSQ for weeks [emoji17]

Good luck and  I wish you clear dark skies.

A.G

Archived