Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Back to it!

So having started this hobby last October I was having the visuals of my life. Got to see all the planets I wanted to in some form but I only got to see the m42 in the messier catergory.

Then in march I got struck down by the BIG C and spent a while in hospital after having emergency surgery. This is where my observing stopped...until now!

Now I'm on chemo and feel I have the energy to start observing again as it's starting to get darker early. So I stopped at the m42 which was my first Messier and now I want to pick up from there. Any good advice on where at this stage of the years night sky I should start from guys?

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your illness and operation, the chemo can knock you about

as well, glad you are on the mend and back to the eyepiece, hopefully the sky's

will kind to all of us, this site http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/ will give

you lot's of targets to be getting on with, Lyra and Cygnus within the summer triangle

are full of great targets, but the one to really go for is the Ring Nebula, it's a very

satisfying target to find, and through your 200p it will be easy, hope you enjoy your

first night back.

All the very best  Ron. 

No Orion is not up yet, but if you look South and up you will see 

a very prominent triangle, the map shows it, if you click on the

one which says  September late evening sky then click on it again

it will expand, this shows the Constellations around that area, then

go to this site http://freestarcharts.com/index.php/messier-catalogue and

get a more detailed map of where to look, you can print them off, I laminate 

them, keeps the dew from making them into a soggy mess, Look for M57

Ring Nebula, hope you get to observe it, there are lots of other targets on that

map as well.

buzzlightyear..........Sometimes life is a piece of  rubbish  and when this comes along, it's a shocker. I don't have, but I know folk that do. There is a process to follow know, as you become more aware of your situation.  You have to overcome, adapt and move on. Others can/will learn from you, and also support you. Life's a beach sometimes.  I wish you well.

I started about the same time last year, and I'm still only observing an area  (circle) around the pole star that incorporates  Ursa major. so just start again where you feel most happy. I doubt Ill see everything in my lifetime.  For me,  I   guess I have  25 Years left on this planet. before my time is up. fact of life, nothing more. If/When I get to 80, it will be some party? I've no worries talking about or facing my end, I hope this offends no-one. It comes to everyone!  When your in a pickle, Just  give a little whistle.............always look on the bright side of life...............as the song plays on. Enjoy every moment, dark skies matey.

Buzz -

Im having great views of several points of interest around Vega (Lyra). I find myself spending a lot of time at M57 (Ring Nebula). Not to far off in Hercules is M13 and M92 globular clustors. I find myself for hours staring at these clusters squeezing as much detail out of them. Very beautiful.

These 3 messiers are my first to go to this viewing session and makes me feel good for the rest of the night as I bounce around the universe!

Astronomy = medicine for the soul

I see you are in the wonderful area of Ross on Wye which should have very dark skies. For one go to M31,32 & 110, these should be fantastic views and Andromeda especially should be giving you great detail form where you are. Next to that is the double cluster to the bottom of Casseopeia and just off the bottom of casseopeia there is the Owl cluster (to me its a bat) NGC 457.

Under there is Perseus which has star Mirphak, a wonderful low power asterism best viewed through bins. Adjacent to this is M34 to the right and NGC 1502 which \I find beautiful and is one of my favorites. Also in the general area is M39. Gorgeous open cluster and lastly also fairly high up is the Garnett Star. This is an amazing Bright Orangy yellow star in the Cepheus constellation.

As you are a beginner this might sound to daunting but download stellarium and this will be so simple. If you have a laptop or tablet, take it with you to garden and use night mode, you will find all these easily and with great reward.

http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

Let us know how you get on.

ATB 

Steve/baz

Archived