NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

September 3, 2014: Some wide-field scope and bin viewing

After spotting Comet Jacques yesterday evening, as reported elsewhere, I decided to wait until the moon was a bit lower and check out the comet and some nice wide field targets with both my 80mm APM with Nagler 31T5 (15.5x, 5.3 deg FOV) and 22T4 (22x, 3.76 deg FOV), and my 15x70 bins (Helios Apollo HD, 4.4 deg FOV). Conditions were not ideal, given the level of moonlight, but I could spot the comet again with both instruments. The 80mm 22T4 combo gave the best views (and more comfortable near zenith). I then scouted around for some Messiers, picking up M27, and M13 easily in both instruments. Each time the 80mm seemed to win, but by a small margin. M57 showed a stricking difference in performance. The scope,especially at 22x showed the Ring nebula as something clearly not stellar, whereas the distinction was much harder to make in 15x70 bins. The stars were simply much tighter in the APM.  I then tried M82 and M81. Here the bins showed their prowess in ease of use, picking up the pair of galaxies very easily indeed. With the scope, finding the objects was more laborious, but I got there. Once there, the image was a touch more defined in the scope, but that may be down to the slightly smaller exit pupil. I rounded off the session with teh Double cluster and the nearby Stock 2 (Muscle-Man Cluster). Again the added sharpness of the APM showed, in particular in Stock 2, which has a large sprinkling of fairly faint stars.

All in all a nice little short session, which showed the strengths and weakness of both instruments. The APM wins hands down on image quality (even though the Helios Apollo (BA-8) is no slouch), which is not surprising given the difference in price tag (the EP used in the APM cost more than the BA-8 bins). The bins are much quicker, and sweeping the skies is way easier. 

Nice report. I have a very simular setup. A 80mm APO and a HQ 7.4. The 100mm bins sure pull in the colors of the stars in a way the 80mm cant. And yes its wonderful scanning the sky with them.

I wish only* for the following. The bins did not weight 30kg, and if i could count the AMP piggy backed to the bins for those high power views xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived