My first of anything other than the moon

Andrew*

Oh dear - this stuff really isn't easy, is it? :?

The avis looked promising. The result doesn't :D

4164_normal.jpeg

Forgot to mention on the image:

scope - 8" newtonian at f/15 (Tal 3x)

camera - Atik 1-HS

unguided. 50% gamma, 75% gain, 250th second...

I was so happy to see what was on the laptop screen - it was the first time I'd ever seen detail on mars. Things that may have gone wrong:

- forgot IR filter.

- Didn't get proper focus on no.1.

- my processing skills are... not good.

- need an imagemate to get in closer

- seeing wasn't good

- registax couldn't align cause of shaky avi - not sure why - perhaps incompetent mount.

tips, suggestions, comments??

Cheers

Andrew

thanks guys. I was also working in between clouds, and kept on having to up the exposure when a cloud went in between.

Maybe next time when the conditions are better (although wind was minimal) things will improve. I suppose I'm glad to have got anything at all :D

Andrew

I cant get that old tart to image either.

Can see detail on the RAW avi, K3 and Registax just blur the whole thing up.

Very very disappointed with Mars. And I gather its not gonna get any easier?

One good thing to come out of it, you make me feel a whole lot better :D Thanks for sharing!!

Cheers

TJ

Yes, 1/250th. If I'd used anything less, the wobbling (probably the mount :D) would have screwed up every frame. This meant gain and gamma had to be quite high...

Also, I'm using a mono chip, which I think is quite a bit more sensitive...

Andrew

ah, interesting, as I had come to the conclusion that my individual frames would have been much clearer if I had exposed them for less time.

Not sure if that is compatible with the RAW method though??? I thought you have to do 5fps. And factory defaults with RAW go to 1/5th second for shutter speed too. But I think that shorter sharper shots would probably have saved my sequences.

I'll dig out a frame and see what you guys think!!

TJ

EDIT: Here's the pic, about the best fram I can grab from the footage. post mortem?

mars_small_for_regi.jpg

At least you had the courage to show them mate. Of course it's not easy, if it was we would all be knee deep in astro pictures.

You have made a start, and they are not that bad. There aint nobody who could not recognize what the subject is.

You have just embarked on a long journey, and the first leg is a very bumpy ride. Soon, it gets a bit more comfortable.

You will succeed, because you are determined to.

Ron.

Archived