Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally after 2 weeks - Sunday Sun

Pig

I have finally got to see the sun for the first time in  2 weeks ( mainly due to being on holiday without my solar scope) and what a treat it is today.

Surface detail

There is that massive filament floating about the centre, this has been mentioned in other posts, but I didn't realise just how big it is.

The sunspots are also looking great through the Herschel wedge with lots of sunspot detail available.

The seeing is allowing me some quite high magnification, in fact I have gone all the way down to my 2.5mm eyepiece, thus the Penumbra and crochet patterns are excellent. (white light)

There is an abundance of granulation to be seen in Ha giving that ever changing hypnotic effect - Also looking excellent.

Prominences

There are 2 main areas where the prominences are very clear, 11 & 3 O'clock positions. The 3 O'clock proms are a deeper orange colour but are not as large as the wispy 11 O'clock proms.

Each set have quite a few spikes on display and I think the pick of the bunch is a lovely fountain shape that is developing very nicely at the lower end of the 3 O'clock proms.

I hope you all get to see some solar activity today

I saw the sun was forecast for today in Northants and was hoping it would work out, fortunately it did :laugh: I like awakening to the sun shining through the curtains and I normally get dressed and set up within milliseconds.

I bet its not often we get a sunnier day than you folk in Brazil :shocked:

Shaun, going on holiday without a solar scope? What were you thinking??? ;-)

Had some lovely views through the Tak today, very nice sunspots visible and faculae too.

Can't wait for my Quark to arrive then I'm back in the Ha game too :-)

I saw the sun was forecast for today in Northants and was hoping it would work out, fortunately it did :laugh: I like awakening to the sun shining through the curtains and I normally get dressed and set up within milliseconds.

I bet its not often we get a sunnier day than you folk in Brazil :shocked:

It is a common misconception to think that Brazil is just about Sun and beaches. Right now it is a really cold winter day. I'm wearing gloves and a scarf

Stu,

I went to Wales and was not expecting the sun :grin:  I had to choose between night and day time observing due to the room available in the car. The opportunity of super dark skies were also a clincher.

I have to wait yet another week for the Lieca :shocked:  from 3 to 14 days !!!

Which quark are you going for ?

Stu,

I went to Wales and was not expecting the sun :grin: I had to choose between night and day time observing due to the room available in the car. The opportunity of super dark skies were also a clincher.

I have to wait yet another week for the Lieca :shocked: from 3 to 14 days !!!

Which quark are you going for ?

Should always squeeze the Wedge in at least so you have both options covered.

Leica should be worth the wait :-)

Chromosphere Quark, seemed like the best option as it will show prominences too and I have larger apertures available so the brightness should be ok.

Archived