Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with Stellarium settings

MarvinZ

Hope someone can help and guide me with this. I am new to astronomy and am thinking of getting a telescope I would like to use Stellarium to get some idea of what I may see (first question is this a good plan?).

I am thinking that the Celestron Nexstar 130SLE could be a good choice, I am mainly interested in DSO observing. My main question is does anyone know what settings I need to put into Stellarium Ocular adding to simulate the above telescope with the suplied 20mm and 10mm eyepieces.

Thanks Peter

Enter to info of the proposed scope and eye piece(s) into this website:

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

And then select some of the messier objects.

Above the image will be some data, one will be field of view (fov); note the numbers, say 1.5 degrees by 1.5 degrees. Then boot stellarium and use the zoom function to adjust the fov to 1.5 degrees to get a look at a wider range of subjects.

James

Sorry to be a bit late, only just seen this.  Within the plug-ins in Stellarium is a one called oculars.  Launch it (I think it comes installed as standard) and select configure.  This allows you to set up eyepieces and telescopes and can be set to give a 'through-the-eyepiece' view.  I find it particularly useful for planning star hops, it accurately depicts what's seen in the finder scope, even putting a circular mask on the screen.

post-38153-0-21375900-1410085670.jpg

Archived