Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR Monochrome

orley

Hey all :)

Whilst looking for something else I stumbled across a setting on my Canon DSLR that sets all subs to be shot as monochrome RAW. Is there any advantage resolution-wise or otherwise to shooting subs as monochrome when using a DSLR? Given that it is easy enough to convert a colour image to monochrome in image editing software, I wondered if the option was there for any particular reason.

Thanks in advance,

Orley.

I think its only the jpeg version that is actually converted the RAW file stays the same with all the colour information its useful as a preview but not much else in my view its much better to convert using "channels" or something similar.

Alan

be done

Hey all :)

Whilst looking for something else I stumbled across a setting on my Canon DSLR that sets all subs to be shot as monochrome RAW. Is there any advantage resolution-wise or otherwise to shooting subs as monochrome when using a DSLR? Given that it is easy enough to convert a colour image to monochrome in image editing software, I wondered if the option was there for any particular reason.

Thanks in advance,

Orley.

The DSLR is only capable of outputting an RGB raw file. For it to be  Monochrome the Bayer Matrix on top of the sensor has to be removed, as this is not possible without extensive and tricky mods the monochrome setting of the DSLR is noting but an RGB image with the colour data removed, this is not even a true LUM data. I guess it is only there for cosmetic reasons and it will not yeild either an increase in resolution or in sensitivity as you would expect from a true Monochrome CCD. I have converted a Canon 350d to Monchrome by physically removing the Bayer Matrix from the sensor but there is still a lot of work to be done to clean the sensor up for AP imaging. TBH I would not recommend this procedure as the operation is very tricky and can very easily render the camera or the sensor dead.

A.G

Archived