Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD?

Ant

I've been reading this thread with interest.

Now I'm close to getting the Skyscan upgrade for my mount - is the EQMOD in addition to the skyscan upgrade or instead of.

Is it a software upgrade, hardware or both?

How much is it?, where can it be bought? and do you guys think it's worth it?

Cheers

Ant

Hi Ant, I'm hoping Robd gets a chance to get back online 'cos I'm under the impression that with the firmware update(3.21) plus the EQMOD S/W plus a planetarium S/W there'll be no need to buy the Shoestring EQdirect interface, as I've still got a really long serial-RJ11 cable from Bern collecting dust.

If this is the case I could even give it a whirl 2 nite :D

Karlo

To confirm - if you have the latest flash upgradeable hand controller and the latest firmware you only need to get the free EQMod to be up and running. If you have a non-GoTo mount then you will need to upgrade it to GoTo and this means that you will get the new hand controller. If you can get hold of the GoTo motors and controller board, you would still need either the latest flash upgradeable hand controller or the EQDir adapter as well as the free EQMod software.

Right, so if I'm already planning on getting the SKYSCAN upgrade, the EQmod (Should I decide to go down that route) is just a peice of software that uses the hardware that I already have...

OK thanks guys.

Lets get skyscan first and see what happens, then look at EQmod :D

Ant

Guys, this is a bit confusing - two current EQMOD threads - I have posted in the other one :D.

All you need is the Pro version for the stepper moters, the EQMOD software - just join the eqmod yahoo group to download or from sourceforge. No purchase is necassary .

As far as I can tell there is no loss of functionality going this route.

( I did reply to beamish via pm before I realised that he/you had also posted in the other thread. )

Rob

Unfortunately, I have the verion 2.4 Skyscan controller, so it is not firmware upgradeable.

I have however managed to connect Sky Map Pro directly to my EQ6 via a home made RS232 to TTL adapter. Works brilliantly and gives me better pointing precision than with the handset. Next thing to try is my bluetooth RS232 adapter ;-)

I do have an extra RS232 to TTL adapter that I made if any one is interested (I made two PCB's and soldered up both at the same time). Doesn't come in a case. You can have it at cost of the bits and can supply a case if needed along with various cables. £4 for the adapter, £6 with case, £10 with two RS232 cables or £15 with an extra cable anywhere up to 10 metres..... oh, and of course postage costs.

And of course if you need help installing the Ascom stuff plus EQMOD software, just e-mail me. Will be glad to help.

4209_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Archived