Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6" Refractor ... First Light !!!

deepspacehunter

We took the Celestron  6" Refractor out to Dark Sky Country last Friday night ...We arrived at the sight around midnight .. the seeing was very good ... transparency .. average ...    Albireo was great  surrounded by many field stars.. the Double Cluster was very nice at all powers used... The dew started forming and the Big Refractor was saturated with water actually dripping off of the Telescope ... I made a cardboard dew cap when I first acquired the Refractor ... the dew cap extends about 16" past the Primary Lens ... and I was very surprised that the Objective never fogged up at all .. it stayed dry ... cardboard absorbs water ..the Orion Nebula was up at around 5 am, even though it was low in the sky, it was magnificent, it looked 3 dimensional... the stars seemed to float magically above the great nebula, and the field stars were a spectacular sight ..the best views were with the Meade 8.8mm UWA... It has been 4 days ago and the memory of the Great Orion Nebula has been relived in my brain many times... just Spectacular !  we were going to pack up at 5:30 am when we then saw a crescent moon just above the horizon, so of course we had to look at the moon ...Even though it was just above the horizon,  ... the view was just magnificent... I can't wait to see that moon again, Maybe tonight we will set up and get a look at Saturn, In summary, I love this Big Refractor !  We will be setting up 2 Telescopes when we go to Star Parties now... I will set up the C11, and Tish (my girlfriend) will be running the Big Refractor... I am blessed to have a girlfriend that loves Astronomy....How else could a guy aquire 2 big telescopes? Well , I hope that we all get plenty of CLEAR SKIES....... and enjoy this wonderful hobby, my fellow stargazers!

Mark

Archived