Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 pro query.

Doley68

Hello all,

Just upgraded my old manual gem for an eq6 synscan.

All polar aligned etc. All seems fine.

The mount seems to operate with the telescope on the west side of the mount. I prefer it on the other side to give me more height when looking west. 

How can I do this? Or have I just asked a silly question. I'm new to goto.

Thanks, Chris.

This seems odd. The mount, I would have thought, would choose the 'correct' side for the scope when doing a Go To. From the software's point of view the 'correct' side is the side which puts it counterweights low, scope high. If it has started with the scope west when the weights were low, and you track past the meridian, it will continue undaunted until something collides, ending with the weights high. Once past the meridian, though, asking it to Go To the same object will see it perform a meridian flip to put the scope east and the weights west. Or so it is has always been with mine. (I think!!)

Olly

Cheers Olly,

This was my first run with the mount, and it didn't go well.

After polar alignment, I went to do a two star align. First star was Vega over in the west now. Scope tried to slew to Vega with weights high but the tube hit the top of the pier plate before it got there. Started from park, tube up pointing north. Gave up in a huff at 3am!

Any thoughts?

Chris.

Things to check:-

1. Your Latitude and Longitude are correctly entered

2. You have correctly identified that you are in the Northern Hemisphere (Latitude number and 'N')

3. You started your session at the 'Home' position which is weights pointing down and the telescope pointing up (naturally these will be at an angle)

4. You entered the correct Time Zone

5. You have entered your date in the mm/dd/yy format NOT dd/mm/yy format that we are used to in the UK

6. You entered your time correctly e.g. 10:00pm is 22:00 in 24 hour format

Good luck.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

This afternoon I powered up the mount, skipped the star alignment and did some goto slewing to stars that I knew their rough positions in day light. It seemed to work perfectly. Very strange. I'll try the star alignment procedure again tonight and see what happens.

Chris.

Steppenwolf, your point 3 was the answer. After I polar aligned I didn't return the scope to park.

I did a three star align then the targets I slewed to were at the edge of the field of an eyepiece at x100. Some objects were a bit further away though.

Does this sound about right?

Chris.

I did a three star align then the targets I slewed to were at the edge of the field of an eyepiece at x100. Some objects were a bit further away though.

I'm pleased you have got it sorted, Chris. GoTo accuracy is rarely 'centre of eyepiece' accurate especially as the magnification increases unless you have a more comprehensive sky model but from your description, your results don't sound too bad to me.

Have a look through the manual for 'PAE' as this feature can help with more accurate sky modelling of a local area and then a little further down the line, consider moving over to controlling the mount using EQMod.

Archived