Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alignment problems

jaygpoo

Hi wise ones. I have been into astronomy for only 3yrs and in that time have learned a great deal with regards equipment and setup etc. The weather has allowed very little time to play and what time I have has been some what wasted but alignment issues. If I use my 80mm ED APO I align using 3 stars and as I find objects I sync in eqmod to increase my accuracy. I align using the image on my laptop of the star on a grid (qhy8L software). This way I know that the image will be on the camera sensor area. My problem at present is that I am using my Celestron 9.25 scope and aligning in the same fashion but due to its high focal length I am not getting the objects on my sensor. Andromeda appears on the guide scope but not on the 9.25. Its just out of shot. Its obvious that the alignment and setup needs to be SPOT ON in order to use the celestron but can anyone give advise/tips on making my alignment /setup more accurate?  When using the 80mm apo I can move all about the sky and see most objects I aim for so I know I have the basics but the monster scope is a real challange.  PS I am using eqmod polar alignment .

When i had a C11 i used a ST-80 as a guide scope with a set of guide rings, and PHD for guiding, the ST-80 being set to place what every Star.DSO i had in the centre of the PHD screen would also be in the centre of the DSLR Sensor, once set-up i did not need to use a Finder Scope or Telrad as the  objects were centred on the PHD screen without needing to view then any other way........EQMod and CdC are the other bits of software in the mix.....

C11-ST80-guiderings.jpg

Tinker, Thanks for photo and info. So I take it that you have set both scopes to centre on the same object in order to help line up the object on the sensor. I also spot that your celestron has a 2 speed focuser. Was it worth getting and did you fit it yourself?Last question . The dovetail that the guide scope is attached to on the top. Did you drill and screw it to the scope ends or use the existing screws to locate it

Yes, both scope are lined up so i can watch the PHD screen and line up the DSO without moving from the PC screen, The focuser is a FeatherTouch cost around £200, simple to fit couple of minutes, it does make it a whole new scope to use focusing it much more accurate,  the dovetail bar came from FLO its made to measure so no drilling...

Focuser

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/starlight-instruments-feather-touch-sct-microfocusers.html

Dovetail Bar

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-mini-dovetail-series.html

Archived