NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar imaging, what filters to use

oldpink

so my Baader solar filter has arrived and I'm loving it as it means I can observe during the day (I work mostly from home)

and being a Radio Ham I have had an interest in sunspots and sun activity for a number of years

so far I have tried both my Canon and ASI camera's as well as Barlowing the Canon with a 2X and I'm getting some good results (well I'm happy with them so far)

but I see a lot of Solar imagers use the Baader Solar Continuum filter and UV/IR filters

I'd really like to try some HA but I have other gear on the list before I can afford a decent Solar scope

so in the mean time I think it may be worth while getting some filters that will help with my current setup

bearing in mind my Canon has the Baader filter fitted which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing for solar

and I want to be able to use the filters on both the Canon and the ASI if possible

so any suggestions for what I should be looking at, I'm already considering the 1.25 version of the Baader Solar Continuum filter as I can use it on both camera's

does it really make as big a difference as claimed in the Ad's and will the accompanying UV/IR be of any use considering my modded cam

also is there any other filters I should look at ??

Like you I am imaging the Sun with either a DSLR or dedicated astro camera with an ND5 film filter. When using the DSLR I have experimented with a few different filters (OIII, UHC, #56) but usually come back to no filter at all in the end. I don't have a continuum filter but the advice I have heard is that the improvements are marginal at best with film type filter (seems it works well with a wedge). The mono camera is a different story. With the QHY I have to put some filtration in place in order to prevent over exposing the image. My current practice is to use a Baader neodymium for it's IR cut qualities combined with the #56. I haven't really experimented much with this but found that with the DSLR the best of the filtered images came from those which included the #56.

Will be interesting to see what other responses you get as I know some swear by other filters.

Archived