Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First M31 Andromeda

Dubhar

Its not a great image but since its my first not of the moon I figured id share.

Its 2m40 of 15 and 30 second exposures with a LP filter that i took before the clouds came in and a couple of bias images.

Using a Canon 350D and WO Z71 on a skywatcher AZ EQ6.

This is literally playing with DSS and gimp until something came out of it, since ive never really used DSS or gimp for astrophotography I don't really know what im doing yet xD. Though there is definitely more in the image than this shows, if I over expose everything I was able to see more of the structure of the galaxy but the image turns into a blown out grainy mess.

2cSBvw1.png

Looks like we're at the same stage, I got almost identical capture of m31 last night. Fun this innit!

Seams so, though I think you got a much better result than me. I need to figure out if i can keep the detail but not just over brighten the whole image.

Remember the time I was a beginner, would have been happy with that picture!

Thanks, I am happy with it. :) I've got some reading and practice to do until my next attempt.

There was actually a lot of noise from the camera with a lot of red and green hot pixels :( I processed them out but I wonder if its just the old camera of if its a common side effect of DSLR cameras. 

There is no way in the world you'll be over exposed in 15 and 30 second subs. I used 30 minute luminance subs at F5 in a sensitive CCD camera. You may think you are over exposed but it's a matter of understanding the data.  RobH gives a good explanation here; http://www.middlehillobservatory.co.uk/articles-primers/Levels%20and%20curves.htm

Olly

There is no way in the world you'll be over exposed in 15 and 30 second subs. I used 30 minute luminance subs at F5 in a sensitive CCD camera. You may think you are over exposed but it's a matter of understanding the data.  RobH gives a good explanation here; http://www.middlehillobservatory.co.uk/articles-primers/Levels%20and%20curves.htm

Olly

That looks helpful, thanks. Overexpose was probably the wrong word.

Nice pic! This is how Androm looks like visually thru a 16in dob in wales. But visually you can make out more of the "outer dust lane". I thought some may find that interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived