Perseid compilation 12-8-2014

hi Chris, I am using HandyAvi for captures. Finding the right sensitivity setting has been a bit of a trial as clouds and planes cause havoc, but I think I am getting there.  I'm also using a cctv video cam in a diy housing. \some details can be seen here. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/121275-diy-all-sky-cam/?p=2381875

hi Chris, I am using HandyAvi for captures. Finding the right sensitivity setting has been a bit of a trial as clouds and planes cause havoc, but I think I am getting there.  I'm also using a cctv video cam in a diy housing. \some details can be seen here. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/121275-diy-all-sky-cam/?p=2381875

Tell me about it. HandyAVI either records evething continuously or misses the meteors. It doesn't seem to understand meteors move _fast_ yet it is supremely sensitive to high aircraft and satellites, for which it will record the whole pass. I got very frustrated with it last night when it missed the best/brightest meteor of the session then promptly recorded the dimmest satellite you could imagine. Also, it doesn't do dark frames which I need with the Minitron in this warm weather. 

ChrisH

I settled on a sensitivity of 66 last night due to fast clouds causing continuous recording. There is a feature in my cam to eliminate hot and dead pixels.(very handy, as I had 2 dozen of the little blighters) I'm using a fairly low gain setting, and a senseup setting of x8 for faster integrations. (smoother video) The cam will go up to x512.

I then use a high contrast and tweak the brightness to get a reasonable dark sky. I think this may help Handyavi to see stuff quicker, although why it never picked up the brightest one, I don't know. The most annoying thing I have found is that when it records too fast, e.g planes, clouds, it stops producing the composite jpeg for quick reviewing, so I spent 3 hrs this morning scanning hundreds of avi's for meteors.

couple of nice multiple traces

nothing but cloud here for weeks :(

Feel sorry for you OldPink I check the radar pics daily and you always seem to have a blanket over you. Tonight looks to be no exception. Doesn't look too bad for me though, although the sun is shining and it is raining at the same time at the moment.

we get used to it up here, but tomorrow is looking good for solar and a chance to try the NEQ6 out on DSO's later

tonight is a No Go its been heavy rain all day and to continue till midnight so can't even get set up far less image anything

Archived