Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

parking scope?

Park will place the scope in a defined position, probably level or aimed at Polaris.

The idea is that the scope at the next use is in exactly the same position and therefore the software can use the corrections determined the previous time.

I would say it only realistically works if you have a fixed pier on which to use the scope.

If it is a tripod you take in and out and set up you cannot expect to get the exact same setup each time - if you are 1/2 degree off in polar alignment then the previous corrections are invalid.

Yep, Arcturus is a favourite alignment star among many of the scopes,

If Arcturus is not available mine has a panic attack. :grin: :grin:

I guess "Park" was added as people with a pier said why do we have to do a full alignment everytime when nothing has changed, so Park was added or included.

But,,But,, what re-alignment is required for next use?

If the scope is "parked" and the mount powered down it won't have any idea where it is in RA. I can see that it won't lose it's DEC calibration from last usage but after any length of time surely it still needs at least a 1 star alignment for GOTO to work (preferably 2 star) ?

I never use "park" because I don't leave it set up between uses. If I have a forced observing break I just pop the end cap on and leave it tracking.

But,,But,, what re-alignment is required for next use?

If the scope is "parked" and the mount powered down it won't have any idea where it is in RA. I can see that it won't lose it's DEC calibration from last usage but after any length of time surely it still needs at least a 1 star alignment for GOTO to work (preferably 2 star) ?

I never use "park" because I don't leave it set up between uses. If I have a forced observing break I just pop the end cap on and leave it tracking.

I guess it depends on the mount. With mine (Vixen Atlux and Skysensor), I can turn it off and it remembers the alignment. When you turn on you have a choice of doing a new alignment or 'escaping' which keeps the old one. I'm sure others do likewise.

I think it will still work because it knows that on X date at Y time it was pointed at Z, therefore on the new date/time it knows where your Z  needs to be and how it needs to move the scope.

Archived