Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

not sure i did this right

Just bought a laser collimator as I have had my scope 4 years and never collimated it worryingly.

When I set it all up the laser was about half an inch to an inch offset of centre. I adjusted the secondary, brought it so the dot was part on the edge of the centre ring and part inside the centre ring but the Allen keys wouldn't turn anymore.

The reflected beam was disappearing down the hole signifying apparently that the primary mirror was aligned.

So to sum it up I think I've done it right but I'm not wholly convinced of this fact.

Yeah straight down the hole in the collimator so that bit seemed great, it was out before my secondary adjustment but straight down after :) just a bit daunting the first time

You have to collimate a collimator?  :eek:

Yeah straight down the hole in the collimator so that bit seemed great, it was out before my secondary adjustment but straight down after :) just a bit daunting the first time

You have to collimate a collimator?  :eek:

stay away from the cheap laser! if your going to get one get a baader hotech

Damn it, thought I'd done right getting this as I wasn't sure about a cheshire one. The guy at my local telescope shop recommended it

Set me back a bit too, I'll see what kind of view I get next clear night as I noticed saturn looked a little soft, and the moon wasn't as crisp as it has been, hence my desire to purchase said collimator

Why not test it's collimation as per the link I posted earlier ?

I have a low cost one that I've tested and collimated and it works OK now. They just often need a bit of work to get them set up correctly.

Cheers John, had a quick look and it seems easy to do, be knocking up a llcc myself tomorrow

Just had a look and my next gen laser collimator doesn't seem to have any Allan key holes or screws, so I can't see how I'd adjust it.

Feel a bit bad now as this was a bit of a luxury and I was kicking myself for buying it when I could have spent that money on something else, feel worse now. Ah the luxuries of self castigation, that may not be the right word

I've always been somewhat obsessive over collimation and I have tried alot of products even had the cats eye kit and now I use a simple Cheshire every time.ive tried the low end lasers and they just give inconsistent results even when using a self centering adapter.

Well I feel like a lemon now.

Well you live and learn I guess. 

Just test it and find out if it got collimated, if it is carry on using it, if it isn't take it back and see about swapping it for a Baader MKiii i have one and find its very accurate.

Archived