Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Advice.

Probabaly a long way off yet, but i just wondered if someone could let me know what i would need to take pictures of the heavens with my 'scope.

It's a 6" reflector incase that matters. I don't have a motor drive so i'm assuming that's the first thing i'll need. Do i need a camera that's specifically for astrophotography? Do i need anything else?

Also, i wondered how astrophotography actually works. I mean, you don't just take a snap through the ep do you? So how does it work?

Many thanks in advance.

(P.S. Sorry for creating so many new topics lately. I definitely have the bug!)

I mean, you don't just take a snap through the ep do you?

Y'know you CAN do that if you like Shaun :D It'd be a start. Lot's of people get great images of the moon that way. Someone here did just that with a digital compact and got pretty good images of the Orion nebula - they're posted in the deep sky imaging section somewhere. I do the same with my mobile phone with it's built in 3mp camera to get my lunar images - they're in the unconventional imaging section. You could get some good lunar images like that with a 6 inch newt 8) Like I said, it'd be a start.

We have plenty of proper imagers here who can advise further. Prepare to learn some good stuff.

Cheers

Matthew(SR)

As SR points out there's a fair bit you can do with a normal point and shoot camera and a cell phone camera. There are some really stunning images posted from both of these. The other thing you can look at is using a web camera to capture - either through the eyepiece or directly mounted in the focuser. You can get some really nice shots of the planets and the moon using even a very basic webcam.

Wallis, a good way to start is with solar system targets, starting with the moon and moving on to bright planets such as Saturn. The best way into this is to get yourself a Philips Toucam - try Bern at www.modernastronomy.com In fact Bern would be a very good chap to have a chat with, give him a call, you will be amazed at the quality of free, no strings attached, advice he is able to give you. You can trust the advice he gives you.

Here's a primer I did some time ago on imaging of this kind

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,3523.0.html

Solar system imaging is completely different to deep sky imaging and infact the equipment requirments are in some respects exactly opposite! For another primer on getting into deep sky imaging without spending a substantial inheritance read here

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,12089.0.html

Thanks for all the replies, i'm truely grateful!

I've just looked at the images some members have taken with the mobile phones an WOW! I can't believe how good they are! I think i'll start with a mobile or digi cam and work my way up from there. Thanks again.

Archived