Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gamma Delphinus

Hi all a quick question , according to the book turn left at orion the double star gamma delphinus is orange and lime which is an unusual colour.

I had a gander tonight and lovely as it was it seemed orange and yellow to my eyes. (tho there was a bit of high level cloud and i have a lot of LP) Has anyone else seen it a lime colour , is it a case of everyone sees it different or maybe darker skies would help ?

I have never seen it as lime. I see them  as yellow and yellowish-white. Their spectral classes are yellow-white and orange. Color is a very subjective thing. It is pretty common for observations to disagree somewhat from person to person. Our eyes are susceptible to illusions as well. The juxtaposition of some stars can produce colors that are not consistent with reality.

I always write down my descriptions and check against the record later. Sometimes they are in agreement, but often there are subtle differences.

It is a very beautiful double regardless. :laugh:

As above, star colour perception varies from person to person.

Just checked my " Turn Left at Orion ".   For Gamma Delphinus it says -

" The stars are a yellow - blue pair, the primary is yellow, while the fainter star is a greenish - blue.

" The colours of the primary have been reported as orangish to yellow, while some people see its companion as having a greenish tinge to the blue "

" The colours are easiest to see at high power"

As they say - your mileage may vary  :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Thankyou Ed.

I agree I think it is about perception , maybe to some with the colours being orangish and yellow the eyes play tricks and mixing those colours you get green. (which aint a bad thing !).

My TLAO says " This double is one of the prettier pairs in the sky. This combination of orange and lime make a refreshing site (sic?) on a warm (northern hemisphere) summer night "

Regardless it is a fine sight and what a wonderful hobby we have where we can see the same thing , and with the little differences in our perception of colour , still be amazed by the view through the EP   :grin:

Archived