Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Andy's Big Night Out

AndyWB

For reasons beyond explanation, I had today off, so as last night was clear, I packed the car, and headed somewhere dark. There were some low DSOs with my name on them, particularly M55. Though clear, there was some low haze on the horizon, and it did almost look like distant cloud.

Wow. Well, I was out from 10 until half 2, and it'd take too long to describe everything I saw. Some highlights, though:

• Despite not being really dark, the Small Sagittarius Star Cloud, Scutum Star Cloud, Double Cluster and Andromeda Galaxy were all naked eye visible.
  • The Helix nebula - This caused some confusion - I thought I was looking for the typical 'dinky planetary'. It took me ages to realise that I was pointing right at it, but looking through it! This one is HUGE! Big and round and with a brighter rim to it. Brilliant.
  • The Andromeda Galaxy - I've seen this plenty of times before, and I knew it wouldn't really fit in the field of view - but it was showing the dark lanes you see in pictures of it; I've not seen those before!
  • M13. I don't know why, but it looked SO good last night. I almost had been going to skip it - "M13 again?" - but it was so rich and resolved all the way to the core. I could see the "propeller" in it that I'd read about, which is a first for me :)

The 28mm Maxvision and new Astronomik OIII filter really showed their worth:

• The Swan Nebula showed billowing clouds of gas as well as the Swan
  • The Eagle Nebula appeared almost enthusiastically! Normally it's tricky!
  • The Trifid Nebula showed the dark separating lines in it - again, I'd not seen this before.
  • The Lagoon Nebula was bright with a clear dark line through it - and large, extensive, dim glow around it.
  • I saw the Pelican Nebula! Finally! Though I still can't see a Pelican in it!
  • The North America Nebula - Easy, though too vast for the 10" scope, really.
  • The Veil Nebula - Awesome. Pickering's Wisp and other knots of nebulosity were clear.
  • The Gamma Cygni Nebula - The brighter parts of it, at least, were really quite visible.
  • The Dumbbell Nebula was like a different object. The dumbbell was still there and was very bright, but set in a larger glowing oval

I quit at 0230, as I was getting cold (!), and then watched an ISS pass before heading home. Got back just as the sky started to brighten.

6 Messier objects left!

Sounds like a grand night out.

I was too tight to invest in the 2" OIII. Went for the 1 1/4" instead. Kind of wishing that I had gone for the 2" after reading your write up.

That little run of Nebulas and clusters from the Wild Duck to the Lagoon is an incredible stretch of sky and not too low at the moment.

And, yes, the Dumbell does really seem to be showing off at the moment! The Delos 12mm & UHC seems to be getting the best out of it for me at the moment.

Paul

What a cracking night out you had.

I saw the Pelican Nebula! Finally! Though I still can't see a Pelican in it!

Member, Martin-Devon very kindly sent me annotated explanation of one of his fabulous images last night.

As he said with a little imagination you can sort out the Pelican.

So in the interests of forum sharing here is his image.

Rotate it by 90° clockwise.

HTH,

Rich

pelican for Rich.pdf

Rotate it by 90° clockwise.

AAhhh! Okay, I get it now!

And, yes, the Dumbell does really seem to be showing off at the moment!

Can it change? I mean, It'll be at a better position at different times of year, but can it actually brighten?

Can it change? I mean, It'll be at a better position at different times of year, but can it actually brighten?

To my untutored eyes. Yes.

Although, my eye piece / filter collection has taken a considerable jump in quality over the last 3 or 4 months...

Paul

Archived