NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is there such a thing as a space meteor

while checking some subs i took of the crescent nebula the other night 1 of the pics show a small streak but not long enough to be a normal meteor and it dos not show up in any of the other pics iso 400 - 600 second - eos 1100d - 200pds - az eq6 gt.dos any one know what it mite be.converted to jpg to upload.

post-12098-0-67116700-1405864376_thumb.j

A meteor heading towards you would give a small streak, the length of the streak depends on the orientation that it is travelling relative to you. If heading straight at  you then I would expect just a bright dot to be apparent.

Could be a cosmic ray impact - an 'air shower' of charged particles is created when a high energy cosmic ray hits the upper atmosphere.  If one of these hits your CCD/CMOS sensor it will displace a lot of electrons in to the electron wells of the sensor elements.  Depending on the angle that the particle passes through the sensor you can get a bright spot, a short or a longer bright streak.  They tend to look a lot more jagged/pixellated than a meteor trail.  The light is more diffused by the atmosphere with a meteor, whereas a cosmic ray hit will tend to affect only the pixels it passes through.

It can be hard to tell them apart from noise or hot pixels on DSLR images which are quite noisy, but you'd expect to get some hits on images most nights.  They will stack out well enough with enough exposures.

alas tingting it is not moded i have been undesided asto go for a ccd or get it modded and it aint your eyes lol it is verry small thats why i didnt think it was from our atmosphere.

You got some nice subs there for a non modded dslr! Good on ya! Be nice to see your finished version :) 

If money is not an option then Ccd all the way IMO, I'd love to get the atik 314l+ if I had the spare cash, modded dslr is a good entry level tho, I just got rid of a modded 350d, all be it a nice camera, just to old in the software department for the needs I am after

good luck identifying your UFO tho :)

still needs more data and longer subs but 600 seconds was all i could do with the moon at nearly full hope i get chance soon for more clear nights lol. anyway here it is 4 600 second subs with just flats aplied. it is a tad over saturated.

hope you like.

any hints and tips greatly appreciated.

post-12098-0-53532600-1405890789_thumb.j

thanks tingting was looking at the orion starshoot g3 deep sky mono it has half inch chip ans tec cooling for 399 dollars. have you heard anything about them

sorry not had any use of the starshoot :( sounds nice tho

still needs more data and longer subs but 600 seconds was all i could do with the moon at nearly full hope i get chance soon for more clear nights lol. anyway here it is 4 600 second subs with just flats aplied. it is a tad over saturated.

hope you like.

any hints and tips greatly appreciated.

attachicon.gifNGC-6888 the Crescent Nebula.jpg

loving how its coming along! your be giving me tips loool :D

Archived