NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

William Optics Zenithstar ZS71 ED 2013

Thats good to know i am a bit of a widefield freak 330mm is a nice number.

Alan

Thanks Olly

Me too. With an 8300 chip the reduced Baby Q is right in its comfort zone. It's the only painless sub F4 instrument of which I'm aware. (I have a very low optical pain threshold though!!!)

Olly

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have my ZS71 & FR and I found it bloated in the blue so I bite the bullet and got a Tak BabyQ. However the less than intelligent placement of LED street lights by our unapproachable councils prevent me from doing RGB regularly but the one limited test I did do showed the Tak had the blue under control.

BTW - still got my first scope and camera which were a SW ED80 and modified cannon 1100d. The blue did bloat on the ED80 but not as bad as the ZS71.

Hi Martin,

My ZS 71 does show a little blue too , nothing to get too concerned about though. I have also seen images taken with a Borg or Tak ( not the FSQ80 or the 100 ) that show a little blue and thses cost 5 6 times as much. In the final analysis the ZS71 has excellent build quality, a great focuser and it only cost less than £370.00. I have also got a WO Star 71 on back order from IK which I will use for a twin rig, Star 71 for RGB or OSC and the ZS 71 for Ha, well that is the plan.

Regards,

A.G

PS: I also have a Megrez 72 that I bought second hand and this one seems to have a lot better control of the blue.

Certainly the Tak Sky 90 and FS60 doublets are far from perfect regarding the blue. Personally I wouldn't pay the asking price for either but the quadruplets are another matter. I still think the ED80 borders on the supernatural for the price.

Olly

Certainly the Tak Sky 90 and FS60 doublets are far from perfect regarding the blue. Personally I wouldn't pay the asking price for either but the quadruplets are another matter. I still think the ED80 borders on the supernatural for the price.

Olly

I agree with you there Olly, my ED 80 ( the older blue  version ) certainly seems more corrected that it has any right to, perhaps the use of the FPL53 glass and the slow F7.5 has something to do with this and as a " jack of all trades scope "  it is certainly in a class of its own. The problem for me is that with its native 600mm of  FL, 510mm with the 0.85X FF/FR it is just not wide enough in particular for a beginner on a budget,  for widefield imaging unless it is coupled  with a DSLR ( cheap but not ideal ) or a large CCD which is expensive to say the least but it is a great scope none the less.

Regards,

A.G

The ED 80 is imo an odd beast, good optics, its not been pushed hard hence gives good colour correction, yet the focusers on these really does let them down, I do know some get them to work. but it should work fine out of the box like the glass does.

Due to the cost of a good focuser it adds around £300-400 especially if you wish to have remote focusing.

If they just sold the tube and cell allowing the user to add focuser and rings it would be great.

I must admit Olly the R&P focuser on the WO Z71 is very sturdy, pity the optics aren't on the same wavelength (wavelength, get it  :grin:  :grin:)

Seriously, if the optics were of SW ED80 quality, which is a budget scope also, you would have a seriously good scope for the price.

Steve

The problem is that the WO is f/5.9 and the ED80 is f/7.5.

The glass properties are pushed more on the WO and so some performance is lost.

Apo triplets are not usually pushed to below f/6, so a doublet finds performing at that speed even more difficult.

If they made the ZS71 as an f/7 or f/7.5 scope I think it would be a very nice little item.

Archived