Places to stargaze in Norfolk

Hi guys, I'm new here... I'm just getting into astronomy. After years of telling myself I want a telescope I have decided that it is happening when I get paid this month!

Apart from Kelling Heath, does anyone know any other good stargazing areas in Norfolk??

Thanks

Take time on geting a scope if you have not made a firm decision, it is easy to get the wrong scope.

Where to observe, you could contact the Norwich Astro club, they have an observing site South and East of Norwich. From the name it is on or next to an old/small airfield. Would say it is dark, you would however need a car to get there.

After that I would aactually say you should have a large selection of locations, well outside of Norwich that is as Castle Hill isn't going to be great. Except for the A11 when outside the ring road (A47) I would suspect most roads are dark and certanily when you are off of them by even a small amount.

There is in the East Anglia section a post on clubs in EA - link to a map, the Norwich club is in that and it gives an idea of where they observe.

Your more than welcome to visit us as Norwich astro society, were about 20 minutes out of Norwich but still have stunning dark skies. We meet every Friday so feel free to pop down and if you like us, membership is cheap and gives you access to some great members talks, including night sky talks from a very knowledgable member to help you find your way around the night skies.

We have 2 domes/scopes that you can get trained to use, plus powered/unpowered pads to set up your own scope.

Personally I would hold off buying a scope until you have had a look through a few and done a lot of research, if not it can get expensive. Members here more than happy to share views through their scopes.

I am there most Fridays, so feel to ask for me and I can show you around.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seething airfield or seething observatory as it it on the road signs. it not to far from me about 10mins .

and only 20mins from Norwich.

ive not been before as my place dispite the local village glow . earsham sit in a bowl on the waveny vally

so once your  out on to the open grass fields  seeing is pretty good if not very good

thanks

j

Hi guys, I'm new here... I'm just getting into astronomy. After years of telling myself I want a telescope I have decided that it is happening when I get paid this month!

Apart from Kelling Heath, does anyone know any other good stargazing areas in Norfolk??

Thanks

What a great invite in post # 4. I'd give Norwich astro a visit ASAP  :smiley: 

Regards, Ed.

What a great invite in post # 4. I'd give Norwich astro a visit ASAP :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

It was Norwich AS that started my hobby/addiction, as I live in Norwich city centre observing from home is impossible so the obs is a saviour for me.

There a great bunch up at the obs, so even on cloudy Fridays were still there, visual observers usually on the pool table and us imagers usually huddled around a laptop or chatting in the kitchen.

Also we have observers who are key holders (me), so can get down there for members only observing/imaging sessions during the week. :-)

It was Norwich AS that started my hobby/addiction, as I live in Norwich city centre observing from home is impossible so the obs is a saviour for me.

There a great bunch up at the obs, so even on cloudy Fridays were still there, visual observers usually on the pool table and us imagers usually huddled around a laptop or chatting in the kitchen.

Also we have observers who are key holders (me), so can get down there for members only observing/imaging sessions during the week. :-)

I might pop along tomorrow, starting time is 7:30 isn't it?

We are there from about 7.30 so feel free to pop down. Please excuse the mess at the moment as we are getting the site ready for the new season so lots of work going on at the moment.

Maybe see you tomorrow

Another big thumbs up for the Norwich Astro Society. Apart from the informative talks, It's a great place to get some hands-on experience with a wide variety of different kit. All the members are very friendly & always happy to let you take a squint through their scopes. I would definitely recommend having a look through a few different set ups before doing your wallet some damage & buying your own. Also, members often have astro gear for sale so you could pick up a bargain or two.

• 6 months later...

Archived